Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Briseis

Briseis

Hi everyone!

I've recently fallen in love with the name Briseis, and would like to know how do you guys feel about it!

It's a mythological greek name. Briseis was a greek princess of Lyrnessus, captured during Achilles' assault and his love interest in the Iliad. She remained with Achilles until his death, and took it upon herself to prepare his body to the afterlife. It could be shortened to the lovely Bree, and is very distinctive yet rooted.

It's pronounced Bree-say-ease (as in the end of the name Louise). It can also be spelled Briseïs, and means daughter of Briseus. She's portrayed by Rose Byrne in 2004's Troy and is the one to kill Agamemnon.

Quoting wikipedia (I know, I'm lazy): "According to Book 1 of the Iliad, when Agamemnon was compelled by Apollo to give up his own woman, Chryseis, he demanded Briseis as compensation. This prompted a quarrel with Achilles that culminated with Briseis' delivery to Agamemnon and Achilles' protracted withdrawal from battle. His absence had disastrous consequences for the Greeks. Despite Agamemnon's grand offers of treasure and women, he did not return to the fray until the death of Patroclus.

In medieval romances, starting with the Roman de Troie, Briseis becomes Briseida and is the daughter of Calchas. She loves and is loved by Troilus and then Diomedes. She is later confused with Chryseis and it is under variations of that name that the character is developed further, becoming Shakespeare's Cressida."

It was also the name of 2 legendary Thoroughbred racehorses, one mare in England (1804–1824) and one filly in Australia (1837), both having won great prizes. They are often considered the greatest thoroughbred mares ever foaled in their respective countries. I'm a horse lover and discovered the name searching for the australian filly. =)

It is also the name of Reggie Bush's daughter (I discovered it while googling the name, the starbaby Briseis is lovely, and her mother is also distinctively named - Lilit). I found out that he is Kim Kardashian's ex, and I think he did better than Kim in the naming department =P
    Last edited by carolinemchd; April 23rd, 2014 at 01:03 PM.

__________Caroline. 22 year old from Brazil.______________
    ____ __ Clara | Lydia | Anaïs | Alice | Zoe | Eve |
    _________Louisa | Georgina | Edith | Beatrix | Fleur |
    ___ _____Gabriel | Thomas | Oliver | James | Archer
    ________Rowan | Jack | Rhys | Lachlan | Theodore

_ please, vote on my namelist:
    ___________________www.babynames.com/namelist/9789681______________

I think it's a lovely name! Has a great, ancient but not overly complicated sound to it. There would be spelling and pronunciation issues obviously, but I think it has such a unique and appealing sound that it would be worth the correcting -- and being someone that has to correct people now and again with prn and always with spelling, it has become pretty normal for me. I don't get all up in arms about it.

Ooh, very nice. I would probably use it in the middle, just for pronunciation (I say it brih-SAY-iss) but a lovely, literary choice.

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel-------------------------------Recent Fancies: Mads [boy] & Roxana [girl]

It has a great sound and I like Bree, but I've always disliked the character of Briseis...kind of anti-feminist significance to her whole shtick in my opinion. But that's just my interpretation of the Iliad. It'd be really cool to meet a Briseis, actually. Or Briseida.
    eve, miriam, dahlia, esme
    raphael, solomon, jonah, lev

Very lovely name!
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando°Roscoe Lucius
    Freya Marigold°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska°Mabel Celestina°Gaia Melisende
    girl & boy