Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do you think of this sibset idea?

I was going through my list of names trying to come up with some sibsets, and realized that a lot of my names contained the letter O. I don't like giving all of your children names that start with the same letter, but what if they all had separate initials, but had O somewhere in their names? Do you think it's a big enough pattern that people would notice? I would want it to be noticeable, since I am doing it on purpose. Do you think it would be weird? Here's the names I have on my list. I would love to hear your thoughts or any names suggestions you would add.

Isobel
    Molly
    Nora
    Rosalie
    Sophie

Elliot
    Jonah
    Noah
    Oliver
    Owen
    Ella ~ Elena ~ Emma ~ Isabel ~ Molly ~ Nora ~ Sophie
    Elliot ~ Emmett ~ Oliver ~ Owen ~ Roman ~ Ronan ~ Rowan

Well, hello there! As I noticed the pattern with your name style in your last thread, I think, if you do it right, it can be subtle enough to be quite lovely
    O Lord, our Lord,
    how excellent is thy NAME in all the earth!
    who hast set thy glory above the heavens ~
    Psalm 8:1

"Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful.. enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." Matt 25:23.. We will miss you dearly, Rollo

Nadia Clarice, Adelaide Susanne
    Gabriel Patrick, Corbin Tobiah

I like it! I love the slightly noticeable twinge about it. But it's enough to notice, if you use the right pairs. Such as:
    Molly and Oliver
    Owen and Isobel

I feel as if at least one name should start with O to accent the pattern a bit.

I think it depends on the birth order, because some names contain other similarities that can also look like intentional patterns. For example, if you have two boys and name them Oliver and Owen, then have another boy named Elliot, most people will probably not recognize a pattern, but will assume that you broke one (names starting with Os). Having a Molly and then an Elliot could look like the beginning of a double-l trend. Norah and Jonah could be "ah" ending names, while Sophie and Rosalie could be "ie" ending names.

O is such a beautiful sound. So many of the names I love have an O in them somewhere!
    I really like the idea of such a subtle theme, it's sweet, sleek and charming and there without being overwhelming. I also like that O is a relatively common letter, it wouldn't have worked with X.....

That said, having one theme means shying away from all others, or people won't necessarily notice the one you want them to! Sophie, Molly and Rosalie all end in the same sound, and Jonah, Noah and Nora are very similar when spoken (Noah and Nora are too similar in any case).

For some more suggestions (possibly a little adventurous for you?)
    Ondine
    Elodie/Eloise
    Annora
    Anona/Nona/Antonia
    Colette/Colleen/Coline
    Corinne/Corinna/Cora/Coralie (Coraline?)
    Cordelia/Cornelia
    Flora/Florence
    Gloria
    Holly
    Isadora
    Isolde
    Josephine
    Joy/Joya
    Lenore
    Loretta
    Louise/Louisa
    Margo(t)
    Marjorie
    Nola/Nova
    Olive/Olivine
    Opal
    Ottilie
    Rose/Rosalind
    Violet

Arlo
    Conal
    Colin
    Cormac
    Desmond
    Damon
    Dominic
    Eamon
    Edmond
    Florian
    Gideon
    Hugo
    Ivo
    Joss/Joseph (Joss as a nickname for Joseph?)
    Leo(n)
    Louis
    Malcolm
    Milo
    Moses
    Nico/Nicholas
    Noam
    Noel
    Oran/Oren
    Ronan/Roman
    Roland
    Rory
    Samson/Simon/Simeon/Solomon
    Soren
    Tobiah/Tobias
    Theodore
    Last edited by dearest; April 23rd, 2014 at 04:01 AM.
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Maeva + Eulalie + Rosalind + Emerence + Saskia + Everild + Nimue + Anaïs + Ophelia + Lileas + Helena + Rixende
    Balthasar + Leonidas + Isidor + Philo + Alasdair + Edmund + Iskandar + Ignatius + Valentine + Emmanuel + Emrys

Mercy + Bloom + Evening + Blythe + Prosper + Briar + Boone + Hawthorn