Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone take anti-depressants during pregnancy?

I have suffered with depression since I was 14 years old. I didn't take my medication while I was pregnant with my daughter out of fear that something might happen to her. I haven't been taking my celexa this pregnancy either, but now I find that I am having extreme suicidal thoughts and feel like I'm slipping into another major depressive episode. I just don't really know what to do. I know I need something because clearly I am not doing well without medication, but I am just afraid of something happening to my child. I'm not sure if I will mention how bad it's gotten to my doctor because part of me doesn't want him to know how bad it really is because my husband doesn't even know how bad it's really gotten. I just am so lost.

If it is this bad, the safest thing for everyone is to talk to your doctor. I think there are some medications that you can take for depression while pregnant.
    Mommy to a beautiful baby boy!
    Griffin Adam
    ~~~~~~
    Favorite girls names: Mirabelle Irene, Aurora Faye, Seraphina Louise, Cordelia Isobel, Serena Lux, Rosamund Fable, Elowen Phoenix, Calliope Eve

Firstly, I would talk to your doctor, especially if you're having suicidal thoughts. You need someone to talk to.

Secondly, I've heard before that citalopram (celexa) is okay to use during pregnancy, so I looked it up to double check. Of course, you need to talk to your doctor, but if it really helps you, then you may consider going back on it if it's an option.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/art-20046420

A happy mama is important.

ABSOLUTELY mention this to your doctor, and to your husband. It is VERY common to have difficulty withdrawing from an antidepressant, pregnant or not. Your brain chemistry is used to it being there and now is panicking a bit in its absence. Passive suicidality ABSOLUTELY merits evaluation and medication.

In general the preferred antidepressant in pregnancy is an SSRI like Prozac. However, Celexa is used in pregnancy. It does pass to the baby through the placenta and it is secreted in breastmilk and some studies have demonstrated an effect there. But in this case your stable brain chemistry trumps-- if you only do well on Celexa, not another antidepressant, Celexa it is.

Seriously, do not wait until your next scheduled appointment to discuss this. Call to be seen right away.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Thanks guys. I called my doctor and he was kind enough to fit me in to see him the same day. He put my mind at ease about taking my medication during pregnancy and he actually lowered my dosage to 20mg (I was taking 40) so it really helped a lot.