Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marisol?

Marisol?

My husband and I both adore the name Marisol. However, as neither of us are of Latino background (we're both European), we are worried the name Marisol may seem unfit.

Your thoughts on this, please? Are we completely overthinking this?
    Last edited by cocowhite; April 19th, 2014 at 07:36 PM.

Marisol is a lovely name, and I really don't think you need to be Latina to pull it off. It does not seem to be a Latino specific name to me at all.

I find it odd. Marisol is such a beatiful name but it's like meeting a Julio who has no spanish ancestry, nada, and this is coming from someone who does have spanish ancestry. If I meet someone with a spanish name and I asked if they are Latino and they said no to me. I would be confused and say "oh." I wouldn't want to burden the child with her always saying "No. I am not Latino."

Maura
    Marie
    Mari
    Mara
    Manon
    Mae
    Malia
    Mia
    Mo
    Molly
    Miriam
    Mitzi
    Mable
    Macy
    Maeve
    Mavis
    Maven
    Maime
    Malika
    Mallory
    Marceline
    Margo
    Marigold
    Marcie
    Marcella
    Martina
    Marianne
    Miranda
    Mimi
    Margi
    Marla
    Minnie
    Marlen
    Marlowe
    Mary
    Last edited by solace; April 20th, 2014 at 10:40 PM.
    punctuality is a virtue of the lonely.

I think Marisol is a beautiful name. It is hispanic but I think it can definitely work in on a non-hispanic child. I think you should go for it, if it is your first choice. I know a few people whose names do not match their ethnicity and no one has a problem with it. It's your child, name her what you want.

Is Marisol one of many names you and your husband both love? Or has it been the only one you both like?

Personally, I think it's very pretty and don't think you need to be Latino to use it. We're not the slightest bit French and we have an Elise Marie, though those names are probably significantly more common. I love and have campaigned hard for Linnea for a hypothetical future daughter, despite not having any ties to Sweden whatsoever--I'd probably tell people I'm a huge fan of feminist poet Linnea Johnson's or something.
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Audrey, Rose, Naomi, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas Christopher, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Naomi, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas ("maybe")