Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Marisol?

When you say you are both European, do you mean by ancestry (as in you are both white and non-Latino) or do you mean you live in Europe?

I don't know how Marisol is perceived in Europe, and I can't answer for any other country, but I don't see it being an issue in America, at least. It might be different in non-Spain Europe, but it is not a Latino-specific name here. It is more like Claudia or Maria than say, Esperanza or Luz.

Unlike French names, Spanish names are a lot less mainstream and widespread outside of most Spanish-speaking countries and communities. Names like Marisol and Esperanza are distinctly Latin, and most are not widely used outside of the different Latin populaces.

When some people in America (myself included) hear the words "Spanish" or "Latin" they aren't always immediately thinking blonde-haired, blue-eyed Spaniard -- they're often thinking Mexican, Dominican, etc. Because of this, unless Latin culture plays a significant role in your household or the child has a certain kind of "look" to "pull it off" then some people are going to ask, and maybe roll their eyes a bit. Depending on where you live, you may get this reaction a lot or not at all.

If that doesn't bother you and you absolutely love this name then you should use it . People are going to have a strong opinion regardless. I would, however, step back and reflect on why you like the name so much and consider the pros and cons of using it. For example, Spanish speakers may use the Spanish pronunciation of the name, so consider if this will bother you as well. But honestly, do what you want. As long as you're not overtly offending or downright exploiting a culture (which you aren't IMO by using Marisol), then go for it!

Note: This may or may not apply if you live outside of the US.
    Last edited by alexandrianscrolls; April 26th, 2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Edited phrases for more clarification.