Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marisol?

I certainly don't think you need Latino heritage to pull it off- I know a gorgeous little girl named Marisol. She has no Latino heritage at all- European heritage through and through, with curly sandy blonde hair, big dark blue eyes and olive skin. It fits her to a t, especially if you know the meaning (sea and sand, which fits her appearance really well). I say go for it! She also is part of the most adorable sibset: Marisol, Julius and Claude.

Marisol is a Spanish, therefore European name. A blond, blue-eyed Marisol would be absolutely normal, since many Spaniards have those characteristics. This isn't about ethnicity or "race". I just think it would be strange on a person that speaks no Spanish or has no connections to Spanish or Latin American culture; like meeting an American named Sigvard or Gioacchimo or Haruka without having any connection to Sweden, Italy or Japan.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    Marisol is a Spanish, therefore European name. A blond, blue-eyed Marisol would be absolutely normal, since many Spaniards have those characteristics. This isn't about ethnicity or "race".
    This is how I feel. If you love it, use it.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

It's a beautiful name, not everyone chooses names that are strictly from their cultural background, and that completely fine. As everyone else has said if you like it use it, I am a fan of Angelina, Nikolina etc. and they aren't particularly linked to my cultural background. I can't speak Greek, Spanish or Italian. Many of the Mari- names are used in various cultures, so Marisol wouldn't automatically be recognised it as Latino. But I also recognise their may be some culture sensitivity needed as well.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

I love Marisol, and you certainly do not need to belong to any ethnic groups to use a name. I know a blonde Fatima with blue eyes, and a blonde Soraya, their parents just liked the meaning behind the names or the sound and used them. I'm not Polish but I love Zuzanna over Susannah. You don't HAVE to be part of any race/ethnicity to use a name, it's a name, end of.

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Eleanor | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha | Freya |