Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxandra View Post
    I'm just saying that the names there would be the same sort of names that would be considered preppy here. (and I'm using it as an example only because I know about the names there from the study)
    There isn't a divide in naming depending on where you live. There are Kylie Annes and Ty Caitlyn Elle Louises in Oxford and every other county just as there are Sebastians, Henriettas and Charleses in Oxford and every other county.
    guinea pig mama to HeTTy . oLGa . eNiD . WiNNie

GRaCe . JuLia . KiTTy . MaRGo . NaDia . PoLLy
    HuGo . iGoR . JoHN . RoRy . SaMSoN . ToBy

Preppy names I think are very popular names that in your grade you have/had 10+ (theoretically) children named this.

Zachary
    Sara/h
    Madison (for girls)
    Abigail
    James
    Hannah
    Connor
    Ashley

Names like that.
    My Little Misses :: Lorraine Alice "Lori"
    His Little Misses :: Under Construction

My Little Gents :: David Walter ~ Aubrey Mark ~ Warren Keith ~ Maverick Jon "Mav" ~ Gideon Robert
    His Little Gents :: David Walter ~ Jack ~ Apollo

Visit my blog: www.babynameseveryday.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by whirligig View Post
    There isn't a divide in naming depending on where you live. There are Kylie Annes and Ty Caitlyn Elle Louises in Oxford and every other county just as there are Sebastians, Henriettas and Charleses in Oxford and every other county.
    I'm talking about the naming trends in the US, it's definitely different depending on your region/state. That's not saying that Emma and Sophia aren't popular all over the state, but after the international favorites, there are regional differences. Just look it up. Some of the names that you mentioned aren't even trendy here, Henrietta isn't on the charts and Sebastian isn't in the top 100 in Alabama but is #30 in California. Caitlin was big in the US in the '80s and '90s so not really a popular college age name anymore. Whereas most Sebastians haven't made it to college yet. So I guess Oxford isn't a good example.

To me, [US] preppy means northeastern, country-club, pearls/polos/sweaters tied around shoulders. I'm with the pp who said that for girls it's surnames, unisex names or buttoned-up names with boyish nns, while for boys it's just fancy surnames.

Has anyone heard of the blog "My Imaginary Well-Dressed Toddler Daughter?" Most of the names on there I'd consider preppy (in a yupster-bordering-on-hipster way.)
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

I think of Cooper and Paige.