Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lilith - Usable?

Recently I have fallen in love with Lilith, I absolutely love how it sounds. And I do not really mind the negative associations. In some way they are sort of empowering and show that history tends to misrepresent women and demean them. Lilith (in some texts) was the first wife of Adam and because she wanted equality and did not want to obey him she was cast out of paradise. And she has been branded as a demon, evil etc ever since.

But of course that is my own interpretation. So I guess I want some opinions, just to clarify people's thoughts on the name and whether it is usable or not.

I'm not religious at all, so would the use of this name on a child be damaging to them if they ever wanted to join certain religions? (That talk about Lilith)

And do you think it works with Susanna? I'm asking this because Susanna is my favorite name, and well both have religious back stories.

Thank you.
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

I would never use it, not because of personal beliefs but because my child would have to live in the world that had those beliefs about the name. I don't think a child is the place to make a statement. If you were to change your own name, that is something else. I don't see why it couldn't work with Susanna.

I think it's usable nowadays. People use Delilah (which is ranked 154th in the US, not sure if that's where you are) plenty and Lilith has actually hit the top 1000 itself, so it's not entirely unused as a name. And I think Susanna and Lilith is a lovely sibset, though it should probably be noted that Susanna means lily - not necessarily bad, just worth noting, I have no idea if that bugs you.
    "Wren." Teenberry (14). Far from kids, but name obsessed.
    Current favorites: Clementine Renee | Timea Vesper | Odette Mara/Endellion | Opal Annabeth | Molly Sapphira | Zephyrine Molly | Cleora Lavender | Zephyra Winter | Tallulah Sage | Saskia Ruby/Lotus | Clementine Lucette Arcadia ||
    Hollis Charles | Azure Finnegan | Floyd Peregrin Michael
    GPs: Crimson | Saoirse | Hero | Lotus | Lolita | Bethany | Cameo || Garland

Quote Originally Posted by littlewren View Post
    And I think Susanna and Lilith is a lovely sibset, though it should probably be noted that Susanna means lily - not necessarily bad, just worth noting, I have no idea if that bugs you.
    I was well aware of it, aha. I think it was part of reason why I really like the two names together.

The main reason why I'm slightly hesitant to use them together, in religious context Susanna is the good girl whereas Lilith is the dark one.
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

I like Lilith. It's one of the only longer Lily- names I actually like.

If your kid wanted to join a religion that portrays Lilith as a bad person, she could always just go by Lily or Lillian or something similar. I also think that religion is becoming less of factor in everyday life (at least where I live anyway) so most people won't have a problem with the name.
    Cara.

Love each other, respect all life and don't run with scissors.