Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Best way to spell Day-a and have less pronunciation issues?

Hi all! We are having our daughter in June and we like the name Daya (pronounced Day-a). Our other daughter is Ava. Daya and Ava both have bird connections which I like. The thing is, when I do research on the name, it looks like it's supposed to be pronounced Die-a (like Maya), some sources do say its Day-a, but I'm afraid people will automatically think it's pronounced like Maya. So then I looked up Dea, but that is pronounced as Dee-a or Dee.

Which spelling is best to get Day-a? Would spelling it Daea make it easier for people to pronounce when they first see it?

Thanks!

I read it as Daya... I guess you could spell it Dayah or Daiya...

I would have read Daya as Day-a. Mostly I think because Day is an everyday (sorry bad unintentional pun) sort of word. Also it’s not difficult to correct people and say “it’s like Day with an extra a at the end”. You’ll really only have to tell them that once.

Out of curiosity. Is you little Ava AY-va or AH-vah? (I ask because AY-va and DAY-a are a little rhymey for me - and I was thus wondering about your pronunciation.)
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Daea, Déa and Déah are all good ways to spell it, without confusion. You could spell it Daiya, which is still said DAY-ah, but people seem to get confused about the pronunciation. It is also the leading brand of vegan cheese- probably not the best association for a name.

I know a girl named Daya (pronounced DIE-a). There are a few people that have called her DAY-ah instead of DIE-a. They were swiftly corrected...