Names Searched Right Now:

Hi from a newbie!

Hello! My name is Jocelyn, I'm a 21-year-old college student with no plans for kids in the near future, but I've loved names forever. I posted regularly on another name board from age 15 until sometime this past year... when site reformatting got ridiculous, everyone started having login trouble, and most of the long-term regulars left. I don't always have lots of time for name talk during the school year, but I've missed having an online community to bounce names off of - so here I am.

I was a little confused about which forum to start with, so I hope it's alright that I'm posting this intro here.

To keep this on-topic, here's my current (really rough) list - any comments and suggestions welcome!

Kerensa Briar
    Matilda Wren
    Seren Isobel
    Iris Vivian Harper
    Zosia Liliane
    Ivy Joyeuse
    Doroteja (no MN for that one)

Rowan Paulus
    Léo Macaulay
    Everett Phelps
    Julius Dale
    Luca Matthijs
    Niilo (no MN - maybe Niilo Everett)

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by anandawren; April 28th, 2014 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Oops, forgot Niilo!

Welcome to Nameberry, Jocelyn!

Kerensa Briar- Not a fan of either, sorry. The Briar Rose connection is nice though.

Matilda Wren- My favourite combination on your list. Matilda feels timeless in that I could imagine a medieval lady in a castle, a proper Victorian lady, or a modern girl or woman named Matilda. It's elegant and regal, strong but playful. Wren is a fun and quirky middle, different but not weird.

Seren Isobel- quiet, under the radar, sweet and pretty but doesn't grab my attention

Iris Vivian Harper- Iris still feels really frumpy and old-lady to me. Vivian Harper is lovely though. It feels both glamorous and unpretentious at the same time- part Vivien Leigh, talented and troubled beautiful soul; part Harper Lee, lauded but low-profile socially conscious writer.

Zosia Liliane- Interesting and a bit mysterious like foreign things often are. Spunky and solid but delicate and lighthearted.

Ivy Joyeuse- Ivy is sweet but not my style. Joyeuse would be a cheerful and fun middle. I'm not sure it's actually used as a name in French though?

Doroteja- this feels much softer, fresher, and younger than matronly Dorothea. I'm guessing it's pronounced dore-uh-tay-ah but you may have issues with that.

Rowan Paulus- I've never heard of Paulus, but I like the unique but recognizable spin on a common name. Rowan is down-to-earth and nature-y. It feels soft but strong, someone who's gentle and loving but ready to stand up for himself. Rowan and Paulus together make me think of former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams and the late Pope John Paul II, but probably only because my father's a clergyman!

Léo Macaulay- This has a scholarly, bookish feel. Macaulay is formal and buttoned-up, proper and British and makes me think of how people used to use family surnames as given names. Léo has the connection to Leo Tolstoy. (I prefer Léo, or better yet Léonard, to Leo for sure!)

Everett Phelps- Everett doesn't excite me, but is a nice, sensible, wearable name. Phelps just makes me think of Michael Phelps- not a bad association for me, but you'd probably get a lot of comments.

Julius Dale- Not the best pairing IMO. Julius is so ancient and storied, Dale feels dated to the 1950s/60s.

Luca Matthijs- I like the pan-European feel of this, somewhat exotic but still familiar.

Niilo- my first thought was Nemo (Finding Nemo and the fact that it means 'no one')

I wouldn't recommend no middle names- I know quite a few people who don't have one, and most wish they did.

The various forums- if you're asking specifically about girls' names or about boys' names (e.g. if expecting and know the gender), you post in those respective forums. Baby names tends to be asking about specific names for both genders (e.g. expecting and don't know gender); talk about names tends to be general topics like what names are trending up/down or how do you feel about unisex names- a lot of overlap in topics between them though. Momberries is for pregnancy/parenting questions. Everything But Names is things like what music and movies do you like. There are Pet Names and Celebrity Baby Names forums but they get minimal use.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by anandawren View Post
    Hello! My name is Jocelyn, I'm a 21-year-old college student with no plans for kids in the near future, but I've loved names forever. I posted regularly on another name board from age 15 until sometime this past year... when site reformatting got ridiculous, everyone started having login trouble, and most of the long-term regulars left. I don't always have lots of time for name talk during the school year, but I've missed having an online community to bounce names off of - so here I am.

I was a little confused about which forum to start with, so I hope it's alright that I'm posting this intro here.

To keep this on-topic, here's my current (really rough) list - any comments and suggestions welcome!

Kerensa Briar
    Matilda Wren
    Seren Isobel
    Iris Vivian Harper
    Zosia Liliane
    Ivy Joyeuse
    Doroteja (no MN for that one)

Rowan Paulus
    Léo Macaulay
    Everett Phelps
    Julius Dale
    Luca Matthijs
    Niilo (no MN - maybe Niilo Everett)

Thanks for reading!

I love Doroteja (this spelling) and Kerensa Briar from girls list and Julius Dale and Leo Macaulay for boys list.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando
    Freya Elysant°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska, Mabel Celestina
    girl & boy

Thanks for the feedback! I should have clarified, I'm definitely all about middle names (even two of them) - I just haven't figured out combos yet for some of my names.

I'm also a big fan of family names, and I have lots of them here - Briony/Briar, Isobel, Iris, Vivian, Paulus, Macaulay, and Phelps all honor family somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by bonfireazalea View Post
    Ivy Joyeuse- Ivy is sweet but not my style. Joyeuse would be a cheerful and fun middle. I'm not sure it's actually used as a name in French though?
    You're right, I don't think it is. I go back and forth on that one because on the one hand, using random foreign words as English names is annoying, but I took it from the title of one of my favorite piano pieces - Debussy's "L'Isle Joyeuse".