Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Most unusual family names that you have come across?

Okay, I ran across a baby named Snowdrop Myfanwy Rose, at Walmarts check-out waiting in line to pay for my groceries. I struck up a conversation with the mum when I saw this adorable blonde curly-haired baby that looked like a cherubim with perfect pouty lips. How could you not oo and awe over that? The mother's name was Spring Elisabeth Rose and she had a sister named April Marion Rose, brother name Winter Christopher Ernest Rose. Rose was the mothers maidenname. I have heard of Seasonal and Floral names (August-which kind of it and isn't, and Lily), but these were new to me. Have any of you heard these names? Myfanwy sounds different from the way its spelled. So i researched it.

- I did a little research, I guess snowdrops are rare flowers that bloom in the winter. Here is how Snowdrop is described:

"The snowdrop is one of the most beloved of flowers; so delicate — and yet so tough and hardy, often flowering even when blanketed in snow, the simple, pure white flowers, like dainty bells, quivering on their slender stems. Although all around seems cold and dead, still, there she is, a pioneer of the new season of life returning as the Wheel of the Year begins to turn towards the strengthening sun. She stands for so many concepts, from purity, simplicity, and grace to hope and fortitude in the face of adversity. The snowdrop particularly symbolizes hope in the language of flowers. No doubt many of them ended up with the delightful fairy-like nicknames of Snowy or Snowie, as well as plain Snow, which, with that fashionable “-o” gives a little Snowdrop plenty of choice as she grows up, not to mention, somewhat amusingly, Poppy, as a rhyming nickname from the “-drop” bit." - Its sounds pretty by descprition.

I managed to scoop up this bit on Myfanwy. I had NEVER heard of the song or name, EVER!!!

Myfanwy (‘muh-VAN-wee’) — ‘my delicate/rare (one)’; quite well-known outside Wales because of the song.

- Have any of you heard of these names or heard of other seasonal/floral or any other unusual names? What were the most unusal family names that you have come across?
    Last edited by vespertinerose; April 16th, 2014 at 03:13 AM.

My family....My sister is Summer Rose, and I'm Winter Fawn, my parents are Robin and Robin, my cousins are April, China, Candy, Ruby, Jade, and a grandmother named Virginia as far as off the beaten path names go. I do have some older family names that seem ready for revival, like Dealand, Mertan, Laritta, Virgil, Knute, Alice, Archiebald, otto and Parthenia ect...

My sister had twin sisters in her class named Talonna and Alonna. I had girl in my class named Paige, and her brothers where named Austin and Tyler. Her family was from the southwest, which they reflected in the boys names.

Side-note- I LOVE the name Snowdrop, and have been a HUGE HUGE supporter of the name. The name however, is Not a big favorite on here. I don't really care for myfanwy, but to each their own.
    Last edited by fourthseason; April 16th, 2014 at 03:06 AM.
    Tcc

Wow, you do have some unusual family names in your family tree.

Snowdrops are lovely flowers, so delicate and magical-looking, but I don't like the English name much. I do like Eirlys, which is Welsh for the same flower though. It'd pair well with Myfanwy too. The flowers are quite hardy - they grow in my mother's wild-ish cottage garden very easily and they're very nostalgic for me.

Myfanwy I like.

There's about 30 or so flower names I like, some fairly obscure. Some of my favourites that aren't very popular are: Viola, Marguerite, (blue marguerite is lovely - it's other name is Felicia) Jessamine, Camellia, Betony, Lunaria (its other name is Honesty, but that's a bit much as a name, maybe a MN?) Marigold, Veronica, and Rue.

I don't know if I'd be brave enough to use Jonquil but I adore the flowers. I think it's as usable as Snowdrop though. I feel kind of the same about Tigerlily, except even more unsure I'd use it.

There's a type of Rose called Rosa mundi - I know Rosamund as a name has Germanic roots and Latin Rosa Mundi is different, but I toy with Rosamundi as a name. Rosemary will always be more classic though.

Another Welsh name you might like is Gwenonwy, which means lily-of-the-valley, which is a beautiful little tiny white flower I adore but can't grow here because it's too hot here for it. Not the big Easter lilies or pink Stargazers - little delicate wild-looking flowers. And Ffion means 'foxglove.' I would never call a child Foxglove but I find Ffion adorable.

Sorry for the long post.

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    Snowdrops are lovely flowers, so delicate and magical-looking, but I don't like the English name much. I do like Eirlys, which is Welsh for the same flower though. It'd pair well with Myfanwy too. The flowers are quite hardy - they grow in my mother's wild-ish cottage garden very easily and they're very nostalgic for me.

Myfanwy I like.

There's about 30 or so flower names I like, some fairly obscure. Some of my favourites that aren't very popular are: Viola, Marguerite, (blue marguerite is lovely - it's other name is Felicia) Jessamine, Camellia, Betony, Lunaria (its other name is Honesty, but that's a bit much as a name, maybe a MN?) Marigold, Veronica, and Rue.

I don't know if I'd be brave enough to use Jonquil but I adore the flowers. I think it's as usable as Snowdrop though. I feel kind of the same about Tigerlily, except even more unsure I'd use it.

There's a type of Rose called Rosa mundi - I know Rosamund as a name has Germanic roots and Latin Rosa Mundi is different, but I toy with Rosamundi as a name. Rosemary will always be more classic though.

Another Welsh name you might like is Gwenonwy, which means lily-of-the-valley, which is a beautiful little tiny white flower I adore but can't grow here because it's too hot here for it. Not the big Easter lilies or pink Stargazers - little delicate wild-looking flowers. And Ffion means 'foxglove.' I would never call a child Foxglove but I find Ffion adorable.

Sorry for the long post.
    Those are interesting namesthat I have never heard of. Thanks for sharing them.