Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    How can you be sure that the doctor is right in saying that you have low immunity? I was worried with my first when I heard that a work collegue of my husbands had contracted german measles (rubella) but the doctor told me that by my age (28) that I would have gained plenty of natural immunity. I didn't get sick but it was a comfort to hear the doctor I would have had enough natural immunity and possibly you do too.

rollo

PS I am an Aussie in Australia
    I would assume (though I could be wrong) that OP had titres drawn, and that's how the doctor knows her immunity level.

You can't gain natural immunity to something that has been all but wiped out in North America, since your chance of running into a person carrying rubella and contacting a sufficent amount of virus is slim to none.

I know in Canada there was a huge stretch of time where kids were only given one MMR shot, and it is now being recommended everyon whose only had one get a booster.
    jessamyn

Violetta Coraline Isla Cordelia Alice Gwyneth
    Abel Francis Linus Booker Theodore Gibson

Fur Kids: Caledonia (Kala) & Marty

Quote Originally Posted by jessblonde View Post
    I would assume (though I could be wrong) that OP had titres drawn, and that's how the doctor knows her immunity level.

You can't gain natural immunity to something that has been all but wiped out in North America, since your chance of running into a person carrying rubella and contacting a sufficent amount of virus is slim to none.
    Oh it never occurred to me that the disease was almost wiped out in North America.
    Psalm 23

The main window in which you need to be very concerned is in the first trimester of pregnancy, when the main organ systems are forming. The mother has to be infected to expose the fetus, but she could have a sublcinical infection and not really know she has rubella itself. As long as the virus is circulating around, it crosses the placenta and infects the baby.

But as we said, endemic transmission in the US has been eliminated, and even in the anti-vaccination panic we still haven't seen any cases. Since a handful of cases are imported every year, though, and since herd immunity is dangerously declining, we fear it might not be far behind measles in reestablishing itself.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq