Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Theo vs Theodore

Hi Berries,

Since we found out that our little one on the way is a boy, I can finally get my husband to take this naming thing seriously! Obviously my mother's intuition was kicking in that we were having a boy, since all of my posts have been on the boy name board If you've read any of my past posts, you know that my husband and I are both picky, and we have a hard time agreeing on names. That being said, we both do like the name Theo! My issue with this name is that I'm torn between just Theo or Theodore. I like the idea of having Theodore for a full name, but yet I know that he will be called Theo all the time anyway. I also feel like Theo has a more modern edge to it vs Theodore. To me the two names give off totally different vibes. What do you berries think? Is Theo a full name on its own or are we better off going with Theodore?
    Twenty-something wifey expecting our first baby boy summer 2014 <3
    Names for our little man: Theo, Noah, Elijah, Weston, Roman, Emmett, Griffin....still searching!
    Future little ladies: Lillian, Violet, Nora, Vivienne, Lila, Olivia, Aria, Scarlett, Emilia, Juliette

I like both, but I actually prefer Theodore nn Theo. That said, Theo is in my top 10 if I have another boy, as it goes better stylistically with my son's name. Theodore is handsome and dashing, but a bit too formal/fancy (?) to go with my son's simple name. I guess it depends what trend you'd like to start if you plan to have more kids. With the boy names in your sig, I would say Theo is the better fit.
    Some current considerations:

Sylvie Coraline | Etta Rosalie | Hazel Miranda | Margot Eliza | Vivienne Esme | Cora Madeleine
    Archer Daniel | Emmett Sebastian | Ezra Donovan | Theo Anderson | Lucian Matteo | Milo Vincent

Theo sounds a little too nicknameish for me, so I personally would go with Theodore and use Theo as his nickname. Both are names are lovely!
    I'm a Teenberry who is mad about names, royals & history. Not expecting, just collecting.

Adelina Sophia ♕ Magdalena Élisabeth ♕ Isla Aveline
    Leo Xavier ♕ Alexander George ♕ Thomas Archie

Lists: Girls names, Boys names and Combinations!

Crushes: Joy, Beline, Emiliana, Melusine, Désirée, Amadeus, Tristan, Octavius and Joshua
    GP Crushes: Holiday, Cherish, Ludovico and Zadok

Quote Originally Posted by emsky View Post
    I like both, but I actually prefer Theodore nn Theo. That said, Theo is in my top 10 if I have another boy, as it goes better stylistically with my son's name. Theodore is handsome and dashing, but a bit too formal/fancy (?) to go with my son's simple name. I guess it depends what trend you'd like to start if you plan to have more kids. With the boy names in your sig, I would say Theo is the better fit.
    I definitely agree that Theodore is more "formal" and that's what I think I don't like about it as much as Theo. But I also feel like people are going to assume that Theo is short for Theodore. I also do like the potential for nn Teddy from Theodore. Thanks for your opinion!
    Names for our little man: Theo, Noah, Elijah, Weston, Roman, Emmett, Griffin....still searching!
    Future little ladies: Lillian, Violet, Nora, Vivienne, Lila, Olivia, Aria, Scarlett, Emilia, Juliette

Quote Originally Posted by adelina_sophia View Post
    Theo sounds a little too nicknameish for me, so I personally would go with Theodore and use Theo as his nickname. Both are names are lovely!
    I agree, and I love the idea of a more formal full name with Theo as a nn. I just wish I loved Theodore as much as Theo.