28. You may not vote on this poll
  • the best full/formal name

16 57.14%
  • the name with the best intuitive nickname

12 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

naming for the sake of a nickname?

Hi All,

I'm due in 4 (ish) weeks and stuck with a dilemma. We are a nickname family and an established, traditional nickname is one of my criteria (eg James/Jim). I broke this rule with #3 to use my DH favourite girls name and I do regret it (she has ended up with an inelegant mash-up which our family call her and her full name in public use). I am also aware that the name belongs to the child and they have control over it (#1 has restyled himself with his full name at school while #2 only uses his nickname). That's the background .

Baby #4 we have settled on 2 boys names which we can both agree with (compromise is the word).

name A is the more stylish long form name IMO but the nickname is not as elegant, there are 2 possible nn's one I like and one I don't (a similar example would be Andrew/Andy/Drew). Obviously we would use the one I like but as above I don't think we control that once they start school.

name B has a wonderful nn that I love and which I would use exclusively. I'm not as keen on the full name, there is nothing wrong with it but it seems a bit boring to me. Naturally this is by far my husband's favourite option. I'd get over it if my child wanted to use the formal name but it wouldn't be my choice.

So long story shorter do you think parents should choose the best formal name or the best nickname if they intend to use a nn? Option B - skipping straight to the nickname would not be considered acceptable where I live and my dh wouldn't have it.

If other name is just boring, and there's nothing wrong with it, I would go with boring name. It would be different story if you hate or dislike the name.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando
    Freya Elysant°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Cecily°Sunniva Eliska
    vote for unusual names

Believe me, it is possible to go by your nickname all your life. I do such and my name is only on my birth certificate even though I like it. It is so long that everyone tends to shorten it in a nickname I hate. But if you like the traditional nickname, it is nice. Nothing wrong with having a bit boring name I think.
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby

Because I read your whole dilemma, I voted for the best nickname. To me, it seems like a win-win. You ensure the nickname you like better and your husband gets the name he prefers too. In this case, boring is the safer, better bet (at least that's what I think).

Quote Originally Posted by rachelane27 View Post
    Because I read your whole dilemma, I voted for the best nickname. To me, it seems like a win-win. You ensure the nickname you like better and your husband gets the name he prefers too. In this case, boring is the safer, better bet (at least that's what I think).
    I completely agree! This does sound like the best compromise X
    Eulalie & Lysander