Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mira or Myra?

Mira or Myra?

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping you could help me settle a bit of a debate I'm having with my husband. If our second child is a girl we have settled on a name but can not seem to agree on the spelling. I prefer Mira, since it seems like the phoenetic way to spell it since we want the name to be pronounced "meer-a". I worry Myra would result in people calling her "MY-rah".

My husband was the one who originally found the name, which he would like to use to honour his grandmother Margaret. He found it while looking at a list of derivatives of Margaret online. Apparently Myra is sometimes used as an anglicized version of Mairead, the Gaelic form of Margaret. I also read on wikipedia that this spelling has distinctive meanings, all of which I like.

English meaning of the name Myra for a girl: poetic invention

Greek meaning of the name Myra for a girl: fragrant from myrrh, an aromatic shrub (I like this because our oldest is named Cassia, which is also a nature name with greek roots)

Latin meaning of the name Myra for a girl: variation of Miranda, admirable, extraordinary

So what do you think? I just find Mira to be more attractive and easier to pronounce. It also has the bonus that she would share her name with a giant red star - pretty cool if you ask me. I definitely see my husband's side though.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

For the pronunciation you want, I would go with Mira.

I think of them as being two completely separate names and pronunciations, Mira prn. meer-ah, Myra prn. My-rah.

Mira! Myra is my ruh.

Yes, Mira for the pronunciation you want. However, I do think you would sometimes get mere-a from Myrra spelled that way with two $s, which would strengthen the tie to myrrh. However, it looks sort of made up....and I think people would still often say Myra.

I do think if you name her Myra and pronounce it mere-a, you will be able to get people who know her to say it right, but people will always guess my-ra, and those who know may think poorly of your spelling / her knowledge of her own name.

To work best with the pronunciation you prefer, Mira is certainly the better option. Mira is so much prettier than Myra too in my opinion - much cleaner and stronger.

For me, Mira has a short i sound sounding very close to the word 'mirror', whereas Myra is without doubt MY-rah with a drawn out i/y sound (I think it would take quite a bit too to come to instinctively say MEER-ah upon seeing Myra too).

Ariadne Lotus Freyja Emrys Odin Blithe
    Octavia • Reverie • Sunniva • Blythe • Arolilja • Isabeau • Fable • Aviva • Gaia • Ianthe • Viveca • Iris
    Echo • Lilja • Evadne • Lalita • Evadne • Tindra • Cosima • Elke • Xanthe • Juniper • Ivalo • Sappho
    August • Eero • Atlas • Caspian • Rune • Freyr • Niko/lai • Ari • Ravn • Ambrose • Fox
    Cato • Jesper • Wren • Adair • Tadhg • Quinn • Vero • Amias • Cedar • Domino • Jude