Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the spelling Tadhg or Teague?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tadhg

21 80.77%
  • Teague

5 19.23%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tadhg or Teague and thoughts on the name

Do you prefer the spelling Tadhg or Teague best? I am pronouncing each TIYG (like Tiger without the R). What are your thoughts on the name? I love that the name means "poet", which has special meaning but also honors my late grandma. http://www.behindthename.com/name/tadhg
    Maebry Eloise o Elle ? o Coralie Winter o ? ?
    Espen Rigby o Gray Everett o Brooks Wilder o Kai ?
    ----------------- o ----------------- o ------------------

heart my son

Most people will pronounce Teague Teeg (rhymes with Team) and will have no clue how to pronounce Tadhg (or pronounce it Tadig). I am not sure how I would spell the pronunciation you aregoing for. Tyg?
    Our Favorites:
    McCoy Thomas * Ruby Alice * Everett Gentry * Cora Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by dawntn View Post
    Most people will pronounce Teague Teeg (rhymes with Team) and will have no clue how to pronounce Tadhg (or pronounce it Tadig). I am not sure how I would spell the pronunciation you aregoing for. Tyg?
    I prefer not to use a made up spelling. Teague can be pronounced like TIYG or TEEG. Teague is the Anglicized form of Tadhg.
    Maebry Eloise o Elle ? o Coralie Winter o ? ?
    Espen Rigby o Gray Everett o Brooks Wilder o Kai ?
    ----------------- o ----------------- o ------------------

heart my son

I understand, but most people are not Berries. I love Saoirse but I know where I live it would be a constant battle of spelling and pronunciation.

If that doesn't bother you, I would prefer the more traditional spelling Tadhg.
    Our Favorites:
    McCoy Thomas * Ruby Alice * Everett Gentry * Cora Margaret

I love and adore the name Tadhg as well as the spelling, but I think it is one of those names that needs to remain in Ireland or England. I have no idea where you are located, but if you are in the states there is just absolutely no way people will know how to pronounce it. I totally understand you not wanting to use a made up name, but in this case it might be an exception that would make you son's life a lot easier (if you are outside of Ireland)