Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Episiotomy ?

Episiotomy ?

So, the Dr that may be delivering my baby does not under any circumstances perform episiotomies. I mentioned this today to a friend of mine at home in England (I live, and will be having my baby in the states) and she was horrified and said I should change Drs and that it is much worse to tear than it is to be cut.

I am already considering changing my Dr for various reasons, but I don't have any reason to disbelieve what she is saying regarding episiotomies.

I have just begun doing a little research and I can't seem to find anything to back up what my friend is saying. I don't suppose there are any medical professionals here that can enlighten me to some FACTS? The medical field is definitely not an area of expertise for me and the only friends I have in the field are a brain surgeon and a radiologist...

Also, any personal experiences with tearing/being cut are welcome.

Thank you!

I've heard just the opposite - that's it's better to tear than to be cut. Something about the way the layers of fascia heal.. I've heard that with episiotomies you can lose some sensation in the area, because the clitoral tissue extends down into the labia and an episiotomy can cause nerve damage.. This is all anecdotal though. I have also heard that there are times when it may be necessary - if a baby is really stuck or if you're already tearing quite a lot. They say that little pushes (panting/grunting), rather than long ones (the old-school "hold your breath and count to ten" Lamaze type) can keep things going at a manageable pace, and help your pelvic floor adjust to the idea of allowing a baby through. In any event, it sounds like a good sign if your doc isn't scissors-happy!

natural tears heal easier. But as long as baby comes out slowly and the doctor and or partner does some perineum massage and it appears that you will be ok then Dr should not just cut to cut. I was a neonatal nurse before moving to Canada 7 years ago.

I'm no expert, but from what I've found out through some research and some heresay, is that tearing definitely heals faster and less painfully, and that episiotomies are become a fairly outdated and uncommon practice.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

Quote Originally Posted by leadmythoughts View Post
    I'm no expert, but from what I've found out through some research and some heresay, is that tearing definitely heals faster and less painfully, and that episiotomies are become a fairly outdated and uncommon practice.
    I second this. I would prefer to tear than be cut, but if you go at a easy pace then it's easy to prevent either.
    Two beautiful girls!

Cressida Victoria Josephine 06.01.2012
    Fleur Eliza Mathilde 03.04.2014