Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Native-American names

Good afternoon berries

I have been reading up on Native American/Canadian names. They usually have such great meanings. Do you know any? I'd love to hear them. Which ones do you like best (from my list or your own)? My favourites :

Aiyana - Eternal blossom
    Angeni - Spirit
    Ayita - First to dance
    Dakota - Friend/ally
    Genesee - Pleasant valley
    Leotie - Flower of the prairie
    Magena - Moon
    Mika - Beautiful smell (though another site said little raccoon?)
    Nadie - Wise
    Pavati - Clear water
    Rozene - Rose
    Talulah - Leaping water
    Tiva - Dance
    Wyanet - Beautiful
    Last edited by mickie9; April 12th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.
    Mickie

| Éloïse | Camille | Sophie-Anne |
    | Sébastien | Luca | Cédric | Théo | Éliam |

Oh, I just found a list of Native American names on Nameberry!

http://nameberry.com/baby-names/279/...American-Names

Of the girl names, I like :

Dyani
    Kateri (though I think this one is too associated to Blessed Kateri Teckakwitha)
    Kaya
    Lakota
    Nascha
    Mickie

I hope you don't see this as being rude, but most of these aren't real Native American names. Aiyana is most likely a variant of a (masculine) Ethiopian or (feminine?) Hindi name, but it most certainly isn't Native.

Ayita isn't Native either (or at least not Cherokee for "first to dance") but it's the name of a Nigerian dance at least.

Mika just means "raccoon" in Osage and Omaha-Ponca.

Nadie is just a nickname for Nadine, and has no roots whatsoever in Native language.

Dakota is not a name. It's a plural word meaning "the allies" and would be the equivalent of naming your son or daughter Frenchmen or Canadians. It's not culturally appropriate to call your child this, and so no tribal people name their children this.

I don't know about Pavati, but Parvati is supposedly Sanskrit.

I can't say for the other ones though, but most of these just don't look right at all to me. Sorry . Maybe Dantea can shed some light on this? Who knows? I'm not an expert, after all ! Nonetheless, they all sound very pretty and Native names are such a fun subject to discuss!

Oh no, I don't see it as being rude at all! This is exactly why I made this thread. I know nothing about Native names except what I've read on them, so I wanted peoples' opinions/thoughts on them. Clearly you can't believe everything you read on the internet

Would you mind sharing some actual Native names, if you have any? I'd love to hear more about Native American names and learn! Thank you so much for replying, @Alexandrianscrolls!
    Mickie

My partner Grandparents given names are Matchitehew ( bad heart) , Chepi (fairy) , Hurritt (Handsome). Nijloin (Mistress), they are all Algonquian given names I have a huge list of others if this is what you are looking for. The Algonquian language is still spoken here where I live and I am getting better at it being my 5 language it is so different the the first 4.