Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Albia, Scotia, Cambria, Gallia and...

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coastwall

2 28.57%
  • Belerion/Beleria (bel-AIR-ee-on/a)

2 28.57%
  • Curnow/Curnovia (ker-now/ker-NO-vee-a)

2 28.57%
  • Coronovia (ko-ro-NOH-vee-a)

0 0%
  • Dumnonia (duh-MO-nia)

0 0%
  • Wessex/Westia (wess-ex/WEST-ee-a)

0 0%
  • Cornubia (cor-NEW-bee-a)

1 14.29%
  • I've got a better idea! (post below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

7: The Self Invention

7: ‘THING NAME' Form

Genre of Story: Historical fantasy.

Time Period/Location: 1905, the United Kingdom of Bretton. (1905 being akin to about 1860 technology wise)

Brief Plot: In this fantasy Victorian-style society (it's been the Emrician period for a while now ), the United Kingdom of Bretton is made up of five countries which came together under one umbrella hundreds of years ago after the tribal rulers of Albia eventually succeeded in becoming the dominant nation of the islands.

Four countries currently have names: Albia 'al-bee-a' (England), Scotia 'sko-sha' (Scotland), Cambria 'kam-bree-a' (Wales) and Gallia 'gal-ee-a' (Ireland).

The fifth nation is currently unnamed and lies to the south west of Albia. Princess Agg is the Duchess of Coastwall, which is the capital/main region of this country.

Thing Description: Real Cornwall, on which the country is based, is located on the south westerly tip of England. Although never a completely established country in Britain, they have their own language (similar to Welsh, Gaelic and Irish) and separate history, so I thought they deserved to be their own nation in my novel. I'm looking for a name similar to the pattern I've created with the other country names. It should probably end in 'ia' but I'm not adverse to something different as shown in the poll.

Already Considered (if relevant): I've just been calling it Coastwall for the time being.

Don’t Suggest These Names: Something completely made up.

Anything else?: The names of the other nations were taken/moulded from other old names for the countries of the UK (e.g Scotland = Scotia (Scotia being Latin for Scotland). I'd love for the new name to have a similar link to an old name for Cornwall.

Your opinions/thoughts on any of the names are welcome below!
    Last edited by renrose; April 12th, 2014 at 06:55 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I think Curnovia and Coastwall fit best with other names. They are equally mystical and easy for understanding.
    It seems you are so good at naming countries, I am a bit jealous...
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student ● Arts geek

Constance AmySibyl HelenaTabithaEmmeline Twila Liv
    Phineas Rupert Otis Grover Casimir Nathaniel Ignatius Robin

Also, Kornuol/Cornuol ("kohr-noo-ohl")is Russian for Cornwall. I think it is nice, too.
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student ● Arts geek

Constance AmySibyl HelenaTabithaEmmeline Twila Liv
    Phineas Rupert Otis Grover Casimir Nathaniel Ignatius Robin

Thanks for recognising us as a nation

I would steer away from Wessex seeing as Cornwall was never really part of it. It might have been, technically, at some point, but most consider them to be distinct. Dumnonia referred to most of the south west rather than just Cornwall- it's kind of like calling England 'the UK'. Curnow (are you pronouncing the 'now' like 'know' or 'now'?) would be fine, though it's not an old term. Still very much used today (there's actually quite a cool fantasy-like history behind the Kingdom of Kernow if you look it up. Kings and princes and everything ) I like Curnovia the best. I don't know much about the others tbh. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Thanks for recognising us as a nation

Curnow (are you pronouncing the 'now' like 'know' or 'now'?) would be fine, though it's not an old term. Still very much used today (there's actually quite a cool fantasy-like history behind the Kingdom of Kernow if you look it up. Kings and princes and everything) I like Curnovia the best. I don't know much about the others tbh.
    That's ok I thought it might be nice to do it, lol.

I was saying 'now' for Kernow, is it actually 'know'? I'll look up the Kernow mythology if I need to reference something, good to know it exists!

I got most of them from the Cornwall Wiki. Belerion was a Roman name for it (more specifically Land's End). Coronovia comes from the Cornovii tribe and Cornubia is the Latin name.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far! I think I'm swaying between:

Cornovia (stealing the middle 'o' out of it): PRO - Recognisable as Cornwall. CON - Already have a 'c' name in Cambria.

Beleria: PRO - Fun to say! More historical. CON - Not obviously Cornwall, not a huge problem though.
    Last edited by renrose; April 12th, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.