Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Thank you Withinreason! Yes, I'm looking for a first name for a son #2. Crispin is all squared away. I like your imagery - reminds me that I also love the name Ernest. And I had no idea that CS Lewis was a Clive! How cool. Dashiell and Rafferty are both very close to what I'm seeking - such breathy gorgeous sounds.

Stripe! You're a magpie for beautiful names! Arkady just kills me. Wow. Dinadan, Theophilus, Digby, Malachy (I like Malachi too but prolly too heavily Biblical for this heathen - somehow the Y really lightens the name), Tavish, and Edmund but can't use that one because the Lear association is too nasty. Thank you so much. Arkady! I'm going to be humming that one to myself all day.

Sorry for any repeats I didn't read the other lists! I think these may fit what you are looking for:

Otis
    Otto
    Harvey
    Roger
    Leander
    Mordecai
    Percy
    Noble
    Rooney
    Rudyard
    Beau (the only Crispin I know hasa brother named Boden but since you didnt want a -in ending I thought I'd suggest his nickname!)
    Wallace
    Cedric
    Fritz
    Frederick
    Ferdinand
    Darius
    Last edited by seazuno86; April 11th, 2014 at 10:01 AM.

favorite names this week: Aviva🌻 Alaric

Crispin and Hector sound so great together - so great that it is almost like they were made for each other. What I am trying to say is, Hector is my favourite. I like Prospero, Arvid (I know one with a sister named Sigrid, and it's highly recommendable) and Sylvester with Crispin as well.

I saw your other thread about Alyosha and was thinking, what about Alexander/Alexei/Alexis (last one probably a bit too Joan Collins, but hear me out ) with Alyosha as a nickname. I love Alyosha.

A few suggestions (sorry for any repeats):
    Absalon
    Bertil
    Castor
    Columbus
    Evander
    Helios
    Lysander
    Magne
    Sixten
    Valerian
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

I think you're looking for names that would be equally well-suited on a quirky arborist or an HYP professor (that's Harvard/Yale/Princeton). The right scholarly, musty, vibe with a breath of natural inspiration.

Silvan
    Yvain
    Faramond
    Ivo
    Rowan
    Nazaire
    Auxentius
    Nestor
    Caradoc
    Merrill
    Ramsay
    Dunstan
    Ariston
    Dimitri
    Giles
    Marius
    Blaise
    Orion
    Cyrus
    Isidore
    Cosmo
    Florian
    Stellan
    Rasmus
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Seazuno, yes you're definitely on the right track. Thank you! Otis, Harvey, Roger and Beau all warm the cockles of my heart, but they're a little more "boy next door" than I'm looking for. Cedric, Leander, and Darius are delightful. Frederick nn Fritz would be a fizzy foil to Crispin's crispness, but it's not for me. Mordecai is a thing of beauty but I'm a little torn about it - it's a bit mortician/larper - but still fabulous. Thanks again. Oh and Rudyard was on my original list but the more I see it the more I like it. Bonus: nickname Rudy!

Your Royal Zelianess! Nice to see you again. Thanks for your votes. I do love Hector - it has bite. And you're right, it's well-balanced with Crispin. I hesitate because of the "pester" meaning of the word, though it's rarely used. Anyway, it stays on the list. Ah Alyosha.. Nobody is going to believe me, but my Russian lab partner is named Alexei and today I tried calling him "Alyosha" and he answered to it! THEN I wrote Arkady on a piece of paper and asked him to pronounce it for me and he said, "oh that's my dad's name." No kidding. I assumed "arKAHdee" but he actually said "arKA(as in cat)dee." He was very ho-hum about it all. Not everyone is a name-nerd.
    I want to like Absalon but it's too Biblical. I prefer Caspar to Castor, but not enough to use. Columbus is ott with a Crispin, but it makes me think of other Age of Exploration names, like Hillary, Vasco, and my favorites Knud (Rasmussen) and Ernest (Shackleton!) Evander is gorgeous - too gorgeous! Where's the chink in his armor? Helios is definitely going on the list. I like that it makes me think of plants bending toward the sun. Would people wonder why he's not just named Apollo? Lysander is beautiful but I'm not wild about the character in AMSND.. Magne and Sixten are too mathematical. Valerian makes me think of the soporific herb. But it's handsome, I'll give you that. Am I picky or what! Hey Z I have some small news tidbits for you so I'll PM you.

Blade! HYP - that is so NYC maniac mommy. Do my names read as Aspirational Anglophile? Do you think that will hinder my future offspring's chances of being accepted into HYP?!?!?! Just kidding. I hope they will read books, and be curious happy humans. I hope they'll feel at home in nature, because nature gives you a sense of something larger than yourself. They don't need to be chess-masters or ice-climbers. THAT SAID… Auxentius is giving me palpitations! Woah. I need to go read about that one. Beautiful beautiful beautiful. And Yvain! I forgot about him. Crispin's Yew has been swapped for Yul for the moment, though I'm not sure… that opens the door for Yvain. Nazaire is fabulous but also a little nose-y. Caradoc.. girl you're always trying to sell me on Caradoc! I see its value but it makes me think of Bugs eating a carrot and saying "what's up doc?" Ramsay is wonderful. Keeping that one. Marius is lovely but maybe too serious/silky/Eurosomething. Blaise! Great one. I love the idea of nearly naming a child after you… but hubs is against it. How about Bede? Orion is the another one I love, but is it too macho?

Sorry for the very long reply. I ramble when tired.