Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Question for Parents

I'm just curious; for all of you who have children, what do you like or dislike about your children's names now that you've been living with them? For example, do you regret a complicated spelling? Do you love honouring a loved one? Etc.

I love my son's name, it is a part of him and I would not want to change any part of it. I wish we would have used a name or names that honor or have special meaning to the family. We were young, in our twenties, and were not thinking ahead. Future children will be given names that honor and/or have special meaning.
    Maebry Eloise o Emilia Sunday o Annabel Birdie
    Piers Lachlan o Roan August o Gray Everett
    -------- o -------- ~ o ~ -------- o --------

heart my son

My son's name is Jacob Milton and he is 24. I was convinced that I would have a girl so I didn't give boys' names a lot of thought. Jacob was the only name I considered for a boy. When I named Jake, I had never met a Jacob and did not know of anyone with the name.

Milton is for my grandfather that passed away the morning before Jake was born. My grandfather's name was Milton Benjamin. (His father named him, but always called my grandfather "John." I understand that My great-grandfather was a very difficult man.) Milton, Benjamin, and John are heavily used in my family in honor of my grandfather.

My grandmother was happy to hear that I had named my son after Grampa and she was very happy about the name Jacob. Nana had an Uncle Jake.

My father's name is Jack and my mother wanted me to use my father's initials (JMS) if I had a son. I liked Jacob Matthew. It wasn't fully planned, but it worked that Jack, John, and Jacob are all derived from the same name and Milton was a name that I never considered using before my grandfather passed.

When Jake was really young, he loved his name. I think he understood that Jacob Milton was special to our family. I have never regretted either name. I chose Jacob because he has a very common last name and I thought he needed something that would stand out a bit. (Little did I know, Jacob would become such a widely popular name. I wish others hadn't loved it, too.)

The only thing I dislike about the name Jacob is that some people say "Jake-up." I know a mother and a father that call their Jacobs "Jake-up." I know someone with the last name Jacobs that pronounces it Jake-ups. If your name or your son's name is Jacob(s), please do not say Jake-up. If you must say Jake-up, please spell it Jacup/Jakeup - anything but Jacob. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pamjsg99 View Post
    My son's name is Jacob Milton and he is 24. I was convinced that I would have a girl so I didn't give boys' names a lot of thought. Jacob was the only name I considered for a boy. When I named Jake, I had never met a Jacob and did not know of anyone with the name.

Milton is for my grandfather that passed away the morning before Jake was born. My grandfather's name was Milton Benjamin. (His father named him, but always called my grandfather "John." I understand that My great-grandfather was a very difficult man.) Milton, Benjamin, and John are heavily used in my family in honor of my grandfather.

My grandmother was happy to hear that I had named my son after Grampa and she was very happy about the name Jacob. Nana had an Uncle Jake.

My father's name is Jack and my mother wanted me to use my father's initials (JMS) if I had a son. I liked Jacob Matthew. It wasn't fully planned, but it worked that Jack, John, and Jacob are all derived from the same name and Milton was a name that I never considered using before my grandfather passed.

When Jake was really young, he loved his name. I think he understood that Jacob Milton was special to our family. I have never regretted either name. I chose Jacob because he has a very common last name and I thought he needed something that would stand out a bit. (Little did I know, Jacob would become such a widely popular name. I wish others hadn't loved it, too.)

The only thing I dislike about the name Jacob is that some people say "Jake-up." I know a mother and a father that call their Jacobs "Jake-up." I know someone with the last name Jacobs that pronounces it Jake-ups. If your name or your son's name is Jacob(s), please do not say Jake-up. If you must say Jake-up, please spell it Jacup/Jakeup - anything but Jacob. Lol.
    How do you say it? I say Jake-ub, but since it's at the end of the word I think sometimes the b de-voices into a p. Or in other words, p and b are actually the same sounds, one voiced and one not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_%28phonetics%29

I've sometimes questioned whether I would have spelt my oldest daughter's name the way I did, because I didn't discover until after she was born that it was problematic: it is a name I thought I invented myself (though have since seen it elsewhere with other pronounciations) - she's Amia (AY-mee-uh), ie Amy with "a" on the end. I thought it would be easily recognisable as a variation on the ever-popular Amy, but with Mia so popular, it very often gets mispronounced as uh-MEE-uh. For that reason, I've wondered if I should have spelt it differently, but I think probably not, as I really like the way it looks spelt that way. And I figure if it drives her mad when she's older she can shorten it to Ami/Amy.

Apart from that, I'm really really happy with my name choices.

I'm not happy with the middle names I would have used if my third child (son) was a girl, they were chosen in a bit of a hurry and didn't have the rich meaning that the other names have. If and when there's a fourth I'll be looking hard for alternatives.