Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Southernish

Born, raised, and living in Louisiana so I can also agree that the names we use aren't that different from the rest of the country. (You're probably thinking of the Antebellum south.) We don't seem to use familial surnames much anymore, at least I've never met anyone with a family surname for a first. There are a lot of weird ones here that would be unusable in the first place. Jackson is popular in my state, but I feel like very few people have ties to it, it's just the trend.

I fancy these: Twila Posey, Odette Francesca, Orlaith Glimmer, Fianna Ruby, Indie Nell

Ouen Amos, Cillian Ambrose, Oswin Maverick, Casimir Orlando, Oscar Phineas  

@caroline I don't think it's offensive at all and have no idea why it would be..

http://www.mom365.com/babyphotograph...-hospital.aspx (click the mom's names to expand the announcement)
    For anyone interested, birth announcements from Lafayette, LA. I think you'll find most of the names are butchered spellings, made up, and trendy names. There are some gems (Fisher, Holden,) but they're definitely rarities among these babies.
    Last edited by oiseau; April 9th, 2014 at 01:07 AM.

I fancy these: Twila Posey, Odette Francesca, Orlaith Glimmer, Fianna Ruby, Indie Nell

Ouen Amos, Cillian Ambrose, Oswin Maverick, Casimir Orlando, Oscar Phineas  

@oiseau, thank you! I read it was offensive in the wikipedia, while looking for the "I wish I was in Dixie" song. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_(song) ). If you google "dixie, offensive", you'll find lots of opinions on the matter. I quote wikipedia:

"The song originated in the blackface minstrel shows of the 1850s and quickly became popular across the United States. Its lyrics, written in a comic, exaggerated version of African American Vernacular English, tell the story of a freed black slave pining for the plantation of his birth. During the American Civil War, "Dixie" was adopted as a de facto anthem of the Confederacy. New versions appeared at this time that more explicitly tied the song to the events of the Civil War. Since the advent of the North American Civil Rights Movement, many have identified the lyrics of the song with the iconography and ideology of the Old South. Today, "Dixie" is sometimes considered offensive, and its critics link the act of singing it to sympathy for slavery or racial separation in the American South. Its supporters, on the other hand, view it as a legitimate aspect of Southern culture and heritage and the campaigns against it as political correctness. The song was a favorite of President Abraham Lincoln: he had it played at some of his political rallies and at the announcement of General Robert E. Lee's surrender."

I guess it's considered offensive the same way Jemima is? I was not familiar with the "aunt Jemima" question, and wasn't with the Dixie and India questions either (although I'm one of those who consider Cohen offensive - but that's because I'm half jew and grew up with both cultures).

Anyway, thank your for your answer, and sorry for going off-topic =)
    Last edited by carolinemchd; April 9th, 2014 at 12:46 PM.

__________Caroline. 22 year old from Brazil.______________
    ____ __ Clara | Lydia | Anaïs | Alice | Zoe | Eve |
    _________Louisa | Georgina | Edith | Beatrix | Fleur |
    ___ _____Gabriel | Thomas | Oliver | James | Archer
    ________Rowan | Jack | Rhys | Lachlan | Theodore

_ please, vote on my namelist:
    ___________________www.babynames.com/namelist/9789681______________