Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Caleb Hart and Zacharia Wolf jumped out at me right away as your winners.

(Doesn't hurt that the name Caleb comes from the Hebrew word 'Heart.' I think I'd even spell it 'Heart.')

Try this test: http://www.babynamegenie.com/baby-name-test-drive.php

If you feel ridiculous using the full name in any of those sentences, the name is too out there. It's really hard to say, because what's too out there in the US may not be too out there in England. Personally, Azriel and Isambard are the only ones that make me go "whoa."
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

[QUOTE=southern.maple;2344420]Try this test: http://www.babynamegenie.com/baby-name-test-drive.php

If you feel ridiculous using the full name in any of those sentences, the name is too out there./QUOTE]

This exactly :-)

Another useful one is http://www.parenting.com/baby-names/build-a-name
    Ladies: Florence•Amelia•Daisy•Martha•Millie•Scar lett•Sophia•Poppy•Freya•Amelie•Maisie• Olivia•Charlotte•Imogen•Harriet
    Evie•Lillian•Isabelle•Ella•Louisa•Eleano r•Violet•Lucy•Annabelle•Phoebe•Elsie•M innie•Matilda•Grace•Evelyn•Pixie

Gentlemen: Albert•Matthew•Henry•Louis•William•Harry •Teddy•James•Charlie•Christopher• Ernest•Andrew•Adam•Thomas•Alfie
    Edward•Archie•Daniel•Harrison•George•Sta nley•Joel•Rafferty•Michael•Samuel•Winsto n•Freddie•Darcy

You have many great names in here. How attached are you to these combinations?

Alfred Thane - I just think "Thane of Cawdor"

Azriel Valentine - Cherubs. And not in a good way.

Bartholomew Finn - Both cool names, just mismatched.

Caleb Hart - This one's got kind of a fun hardboiled feeling about it. Could work.

Devin Ignatius - Again, two good names, mismatched. Ignatius is dreamy!

Edmund Holmes - Yes to Edmund, no to Holmes. Sherlock if you must.

Enoch Rutherford - Yes to Enoch, no to Rutherford. I don't know anything about his presidency (kind of obscure, no?) Was he a good one? I just have a vague association from 8th grade history class of the name Rutherford with Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and bad times for black people.

Hadrian Calloway - Hadrian is fantastic. I think it would be better served by a simpler, more familiar middle.

Isambard Gale - Isambard is a whole lotta name. Gale is beautiful and unexpected.

Laszlo Bayard - Laszlo is one of my favorites. Sexy. But Laszlo Bayard is like too much cologne.

Rupert Everest - Rupert Everett. Everest is off limits unless you've actually been to the mountain, imo.

Ted Sullivan - The Ed Sullivan Show.

Zachariah Wolf - Could work. Would it inevitably get shortened to Zach? That would be my hesitation with beautiful Zachariah.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingo View Post
    Caleb Hart and Zacharia Wolf jumped out at me right away as your winners.

(Doesn't hurt that the name Caleb comes from the Hebrew word 'Heart.' I think I'd even spell it 'Heart.')
    Sorry, I know a lot of people like Caleb and it's fine as a name but it definitely doesn't mean that. Caleb doesn't mean "heart" in Hebrew - it's literally the word for "dog." Poetically, you could make an argument that the Biblical Caleb was named such for his loyalty and fierceness, his "guard dog" qualities if you will, and some say it's referencing doglike devotion. Nameberry took it for a very flattering spin. But it's got nothing to do with heart. It's literally "dog."