Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wrong meanings

Quote Originally Posted by lovemysweeties View Post
    These did not seem too far off to me. So many sites give different meanings (hugely different) to the same name. It was suggested to me to use Behind the Name and I have found it to be a good tool.
    I think you read the original post wrong. The italics were what went up, the plain text next to it was the real meaning the OP discovered.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

@lovemysweetie what Ren said, the first ones were the wrong ones and the ones in normal text were the meanings from behind the name
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Tallulah★Ruby☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedchild View Post
    I've noticed quite a few discrepancies between names and meanings. Nameberry puts Charlotte as meaning "free man" whereas quite a few name sites and baby books have it as meaning "strong man/woman" (which I prefer).
    I don't think any one source is right or wrong; there are often different meanings in different cultures and religions, it makes sense that meanings would differ over time.
    But where did you get that from? There's no meaning of strength, and a bit of a connection with freedom. It means Man, with a diminutive feminine suffix. Charlotte means Man-ette, or Female Man if you like, or Woman. The man part is from a word that also meant husband. You could interpret it as 'free man', but only in the sense that a slave would not have been called a carl / karl. Mostly it just means 'man'.
    As the OP shows, people are often quite keen to insert positive meanings with no etymological evidence, as well as unwilling to admit that in some cases the meaning of a name is simply not known. Historical original etymologies don't differ over time. They are set in the history of languages. Cultural meaning can definitely change, but not etymology.
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    But where did you get that from? There's no meaning of strength, and a bit of a connection with freedom. It means Man, with a diminutive feminine suffix. Charlotte means Man-ette, or Female Man if you like, or Woman. The man part is from a word that also meant husband. You could interpret it as 'free man', but only in the sense that a slave would not have been called a carl / karl. Mostly it just means 'man'.
    I don't have the names of the actual sites or the books, but back when my husband and I were looking at baby names, he sent me many links for Charlotte (he chose that name), and a lot said "strong woman/man".
    And it seems to be the common meaning from the baby books we got out of the library. I don't have the names of the books, it was close to 6 months ago, but I did write down the meanings we found next to the names we liked in a notebook. And "strong woman" was one that came up a lot.

I don't think it really matters either way does it? We're happy with the interpretation we've found, and we'd be happy if we'd never found it.
    Last edited by sunkissedchild; April 7th, 2014 at 09:53 AM.
    TTC Baby #1

Austen Theodore|Elliott Hezekiah
    Matilda Florence|Adelaide Elizabeth

Most people take their name information from baby name books and websites. However, these often list incorrect meanings. The root of the problem is that most generic baby name books and websites are written by people who just want to cash in on parents-to-be, rather than by experts who are actually trained in languages or etymology.