Names Searched Right Now:

Name Check/Opinion for (not-so) alien characters

I decided to make use of one of the forms posted in the sticky. I want this thread to serve as both a check and preconception deal, so I invite you to voice how each name makes you feel. If you think any other names would be better, do say so.

Genre of Story: Sci-fi, slice-of-life

Time Period/Location: I haven't decided what exact time period yet, but it will likely either be in the 20th or 21st century. Also, this story will span across all parts of the globe, from Britain to Japan to South Africa.

Brief Plot: Starts off as your basic alien story, with a group of young ETs arriving on Earth for the first time. As the story progresses they must try to fill the roles their intergalactic "Father" gave them, but they find it's much more difficult than they planned.

Character Names: Father assigns all his charges their names based on what country they will be residing in. They don't have names unique to their own culture as far as they know.
    Japan - Emiko. A quiet, intelligent, yet stubborn girl who always manages to twist whatever she wants out of people by refusing to cooperate.
    USA - Genevieve, with G as a nickname. A hippy who was basically engineered to love the Earth and remain forever slightly wild-looking and vegan.
    South Africa - Abanu, with Bani as a nickname. A nervous yet conscientious boy who is quick with a joke and knowledgeable about politics.
    India - Devaki. A rambunctious fighter of a girl with dark skin and fair hair; has self-respect, but is not as foolishly pigheaded as Emiko.
    South Korea - Ji-Eun. A lover of fashion and art who prefers to live on cloud nine rather than in the real world.
    China - Mayling, with Mary as a nickname/English name. A responsible, innocuous girl on the outside; a lover of hard-rock/metal and the macabre on the inside.
    England - Sheridan. A mouthy nerd with terrible eyesight and, strangely, a way with the ladies.
    Spain - Emilio, with Milo as a nickname. A generous soul who always sees the sunshiney side of life, and who enjoys spreading that light to others.

Japan - Emiko. A quiet, intelligent, yet stubborn girl who always manages to twist whatever she wants out of people by refusing to cooperate.

This description is honestly what I imagine an Emiko to be. Spot on.

USA - Genevieve, with G as a nickname. A hippy who was basically engineered to love the Earth and remain forever slightly wild-looking and vegan.

I find the name Genevieve to be more of a popular girl name, but I like this description and I think it would work.

South Africa - Abanu, with Bani as a nickname. A nervous yet conscientious boy who is quick with a joke and knowledgeable about politics.

I like this. It's a good choice.

India - Devaki. A rambunctious fighter of a girl with dark skin and fair hair; has self-respect, but is not as foolishly pigheaded as Emiko.

Not my favorite choice. Some suggestions: Riva or Vashti.

South Korea - Ji-Eun. A lover of fashion and art who prefers to live on cloud nine rather than in the real world.

Another good choice.

China - Mayling, with Mary as a nickname/English name. A responsible, innocuous girl on the outside; a lover of hard-rock/metal and the macabre on the inside.

Mayling seems really popular in the media. The Simpsons and Arthur both use this. Maybe Mei, Li, or Xiu

England - Sheridan. A mouthy nerd with terrible eyesight and, strangely, a way with the ladies.

Great choice!

Spain - Emilio, with Milo as a nickname. A generous soul who always sees the sunshiney side of life, and who enjoys spreading that light to others.

Assuming Milo is being said as Me-low, it's good, although, I think there are better choices out there. The name Emilio doesn't come off as a bright and shining name to me.

Current Favorites
    August - Daniel - Erik - Heath - Leo - Ronan
    Eve - Fiona - Johanna - Lana - Lena - Sally

I'd swap out Genevieve and Sheridan. The surname-as-first-name thing isn't as big here as it is in the states so if the name chooser was selecting names based on the country they were going to be living in, then surely he'd pick something extremely traditional for England like William or George.
    Last edited by renrose; April 6th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I assume you're setting this around now, based on the names. They're overall very modern. Looking at Sheridan and Ji-Eun in particular.

I think in Japan the -ko names are becoming rather old-fashioned? It's probably fine, but just something to keep in mind. Mayling/Meiling is a rather cliched, overused name for a Chinese character, but again, probably fine when it comes down to it. They're aliens being named by an alien, after all. Just be careful.

Also, is that South African guy's name actually South African? It's listed on Nameberry as African, but that's like saying it's a European name. Really unhelpful. In fact, Nameberry also lists Abanu as being Ibo, which is an archaic term for the Igbo people of Nigeria, according to Google. Wrong ethnicity. If it's South Africa, look for some Afrikaans names?

But this is all just me with my ignorant American eyes. Maybe ask people who are actually from those countries, once you have your time period set. Yay research!
    Edmund Antonio - Lucas Alexander - Theodore August
    Eleanor Georgia - Madeleine Lorraine - Verity Rose

@renrose has a point. And Mary as a nn for a Chinese name? Nope. Won't work. Surely the father would do Ty-Lee or something like that.