Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Can you please say how you would pronounce the names?
    Thanks!

@frobskottle - because it's actually not a version of Lucy, just a similarity in looks & meaning. Lleucu doesn't even have an 'l' sound when pronouncing

@jd - well I didn't wrote the pronunciations because they don't really want any opinons about that, they think people doesn't really like too Welsh sounding names, but to our ears they're totally normal and really good names. Besides the fist name, whichever they choose, wouldn't be used abroad probably just in Wales and at home. But you can find them here and here.

One thing is certain: both names will face considerable problems with spelling and pronunciation outside of Wales.

For me, Angharad is prettier and the pronunciation actually sounds quite similar to the spelling itself so I like this name better.

I love the look of Lleucu but the pronunciation for non-Welsh speakers is a nightmare. Sorry to say but for this English speaker the first syllable sounds like someone has just hacked up mucus or phlegm. I can't figure out whether it's a cough or a sneeze - or both. Not a very attractive sound to me.

However, if your cousin LOVES Lleucu then that's the name that should be chosen and used. There's no point in choosing a name you love and then proceeding to call the girl by the middle name because it's too difficult for others to grasp. They are fully aware of the obstacles that will be faced outside of Wales and if they think the name is worth the trouble and think they will have patience with all of misspellings and mispronunciations, then they should fully embrace it and bear the consequences.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Lleucu -- Love this name, but yes it will be tortured by any other language! And even after correcting, that first syllable is difficult for non-natives to say. That said, Angharad is going to be subject to some butchering as well so I think they should go with the one they love. Either way, they'll find themselves using a nickname or the middle name for convenience sake.

Though there isn't the obvious "Lou" sound in Lleucu, I do think it would work as a nickname, or Lulu. Another thought is Lee. I know a couple girls named Lee and they are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    For me, Angharad is prettier and the pronunciation actually sounds quite similar to the spelling itself so I like this name better.

I love the look of Lleucu but the pronunciation for non-Welsh speakers is a nightmare. Sorry to say but for this English speaker the first syllable sounds like someone has just hacked up mucus or phlegm. I can't figure out whether it's a cough or a sneeze - or both. Not a very attractive sound to me.
    About the first part, this actually helps a lot! You know we always thought Angharad must look very ugly and harsh to non-Welsh!

About the second part, well, this is why we didn't want to give the pronounciations haha. Because to us it's pretty (or at least really normal) sounding name. But yes, it is a shame that it's not possible for non-Welsh speakers to pronounce it, even when taught.

After reading the comments here, their current choice is Angharad, but it's not easy when you don't exactly 'love' a name right?