Names Searched Right Now:

Pronunciation of Findlay

How do you pronounce Findlay? Is the 'd ' silent? To me it's a more masculine way of spelling Finley. I would probably use nn Finn most of the name but I think Findlay goes better with my top name Maxwell than Finn.

Would you go with...

Maxwell and Finn
    Maxwell and Findlay
    Maxwell and Finlay

All combos would go by Max and Finn
    My attempt at a blog is here

TTC #1

Sophie Alice Marilla
    Ivy ~ Ciara ~ Eleanor ~ Zoe ~ Katharine ~ Eva ~ Cara ~ Elizabeth

Maxwell Arthur James
    Vincent ~ Finn ~ Jack ~ Alexander ~ Leo ~ Zachary ~ Theodore

Nameberry says it's a variation of Finlay, so I'd guess the d is silent. While I agree it makes Finley more masculine, I don't like this spelling at all. It doesn't look like a name to me. I would go with Maxwell and Finn, because Finlay sounds like a girl name to me.

Yes the D is silent. It's a relatively common surname here & often spelt with the silent D.

Isn't it Finn-lay my second cousin has a son named Finlay and it is said different to Finley which is more Finn-lee
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Deacon☆Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆

I say Findlay/Finlay/Finley all the same... FIN-lee.

I know several boys with various spellings of the name and none of them are said fin-LAY. They're all different Anglicizations of Fionnlagh, but they're all pronounced the same.

I like Finlay best, especially with Maxwell. You don't really need to worry about it feeling feminine since Finlay/Finley is very rarely used on girls in the UK (it's a very American trend to use Irish male names on girls, I don't get it and thankfully neither does the rest of Britain).
    Last edited by oliviasarah; April 6th, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)