Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxandra View Post
    Names aren't inherently masculine or feminine. What sounds like it is masculine or feminine changes through time or culture. English likes to put -a at the end of girl names but in other languages the -a ending means boy. At one point people thought pink was masculine and blue feminine! To me the only truly gender neutral names are word names that are mostly recent introductions, because they have little association based on use. Like Phoenix. Surname names have historically been boy names, sometimes some of them cross over but there aren't many that are truly unisex. Maybe Jordan, mostly once it becomes popular for girls it falls off for boys.
    We discussed a similar thing at my uni the other day (we even brought up the pink was for boys and blue was for girls thing!) - the ideas of masculinity and feminity aren't changing, but perceptions of the two are. Gender (which is different to sex) is slowly being recognised as a social construct rather then a biological one. As well as that, the perception of what it is to be female in particular is changing, which is why we're probably seeing a growing trend in more "masculine" names for girls ( by that I just mean ones that aren't so frilly and lacey and delicate - not that there's anything wrong with those traits of course) and traditionally boys' names becoming more unisex. There have also been studies showing that the more liberal parents (when I say liberal, I mean the traditional meaning, not the Australian political party, which is an ironically named conservative government) actually prefer boys names with softer, lighter sounds - which would probably have been called feminine only a couple of decades ago. (If I can be bothered to find the article again, I'll try and post it. I think it was also based on American parents, so it might not apply to everyone).

Anyway, back to the op. I can sort of see what you're saying, but I think for me personally, it's just easier to say unisex, since it means almost the same thing.
    Last edited by mckaylalove; April 4th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

In French there are some names that I would consider to be truly unisex names, i.e. names that have a long history of use for both males and females. These include Camille, Dominique, and Claude, as well as Marie as a middle name.

We loved the name Peyton up until a few weeks ago (I'm 32 weeks pregnant and we live in Scotland) but one have been told its 'chavvy' and/or a male name (we are having a girl) and we have now struck it off the list because of this but still love it.
    We also loved Dani for a girl but again decided against this due to being predominantly a male name.

I think its sad that this happens but I do think the two names I've mentioned can be used both ways

Quote Originally Posted by mm86 View Post
    We loved the name Peyton up until a few weeks ago (I'm 32 weeks pregnant and we live in Scotland) but one have been told its 'chavvy' and/or a male name (we are having a girl) and we have now struck it off the list because of this but still love it.
    We also loved Dani for a girl but again decided against this due to being predominantly a male name.

I think its sad that this happens but I do think the two names I've mentioned can be used both ways
    Whoever told you it was chavy can go take a hike!! I disagree alot !!

What about peyton Danae its not dani but it has an ay ending sound that is similar to dani.
    Last edited by bailibsmum; April 5th, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Dani, (U.K Mumma) Love my kidlets Bailey & Liberty {step mum to angel Calium 17/4/02-25/06/02} <3 K.P.T <3

Crushes: (B) Phoenix, Elijah, Zeke, Logan,Vincent, Talon, Castiel, Kye, Auron, Levi, Xavier, Harley, Orion, Gunner, Marley, Blaine, Aeydn, Aaron, Roman, Zephyr, Kingsley, Niklaus, Jensen
    (G) Peyton, Ashealia, Madalynn, Ksenia, Genevieve, Isabeau, Talia, Marnie, Wynter, Sofia, Emery, Aria, Avalon, Nova, Luna, Elyse, River, Myka, Bonnie, Gracelyn (combo mine & my mums name)

I get told my kids names spesh my daughters name is chavvy all the time its not.. but hey ho how people like to think is up to them.

Bailey< BOY - Not girl.

Peyton <Girl- not boy

Ashton< That is unisex if spelt different i.e Ashtyn (would say that was a fem version)

There are many unisex names i see as being 1 gender not both

but as eliot /elliott goes i can actually see this as being 2 genders but it has been made that was through the series scrubs i believe as the charater called elliot on there. I went through likeing hte name dsplet Elliette as can be used as Ellie for a girl- But mrs nephew is an Elliott.

Oh and P.S Dani/ Danie/ Danni is girls nickname of danielle name Danny/dan boys nickname of daniel.

As i am a dani and have a male friend called Danny (yes it can get a bit confuzzling) but at the end of the day danny is a boy and dani a girl to me.. dani as a boy looks wrong.
    Last edited by bailibsmum; April 5th, 2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Dani, (U.K Mumma) Love my kidlets Bailey & Liberty {step mum to angel Calium 17/4/02-25/06/02} <3 K.P.T <3

Crushes: (B) Phoenix, Elijah, Zeke, Logan,Vincent, Talon, Castiel, Kye, Auron, Levi, Xavier, Harley, Orion, Gunner, Marley, Blaine, Aeydn, Aaron, Roman, Zephyr, Kingsley, Niklaus, Jensen
    (G) Peyton, Ashealia, Madalynn, Ksenia, Genevieve, Isabeau, Talia, Marnie, Wynter, Sofia, Emery, Aria, Avalon, Nova, Luna, Elyse, River, Myka, Bonnie, Gracelyn (combo mine & my mums name)