Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The ridiculousness of Apple

Note: I am not considering Apple for future use. This post is stictly hypothetical. Sorry, thought I had to say that since I do like some weird ones.

That being said, I do have to question the ridiculousness of using it on a child. Is it really any different than Clementine (which I love), Daisy (equally as cutesy in my opinion), or Lily (see Daisy) - or any other botanical name for that matter - being a given name? I agree tha Gwenyth Paltrow's using it in pairing with the surname Martin is a bit funky and she will surely be called Apple Martini at some point in her life, but laughable combonations aside, do you feel that Apple is usable to the right person or utterly ridiculous?
    Mommy of Juniper Teagan & Pyrus Nikolai

Catkin Ferelith, Celandine Ceridwen, Nettle Chiyo, Pennyroyal Matilda, Dandelion Jane
    Fox Atticus, Huckleberry Ivan, Senna Lazarus, Bramble Gideon, Thistle Dorian

Crushes: Myfanwy, Merewen, Anoushka, Heliotrope, Chihiro
    Angus, Jules, Bear, Larkspur, Blue, Robin

http://bloominggardenofnames.blogspot.com/

Frankly, I'd never use it due mostly to style (I tend to prefer dramatic, long, romantic names like Amedeo and Andromeda). Though I do have a soft spot for the cutesy, flowery names like Daisy and Lily. Nameberry users contradict themselves often; they have long favourited nature names like Maple and Plum, which are the quirky cousins of Daisy and Lily that I group Apple with. Apple does have a lovely, round sound to it, and I can see its appeal. While I find it difficult to imagine a working woman with any name from the fruit family, I don't find anything inherently wrong with these kinds of names.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

I wouldn't use Apple (but I like Pomeline) and I agree with everything you wrote. Here are the possible reasons I can come up with that so many people had a "what the HECK" reaction to Apple:

I think a huge part of it is just that it doesn't have a history of use as a human name. Simple as. Some botanical names do, others don't.

Of course, some botanical names with no use history wouldn't be considered ridiculous. I think there are a few factors at play. One is "namishness" - some plant names sound more like typical human names. That's why moving Aspen and Magnolia into the name category is considered normal, but maybe not Oak or Dandelion.

The other is that we tend not to use food words as names in English too often. Candy and Olive aside, you don't meet people named Grape or Tomato or Lettuce.
    The food names we do use, like Clementine or Madeleine, usually are not named AFTER the food. Clementine is the female version of the name Clement - so, related to the words clemency and mercy, versus Apple which is just.. Apple.

None of those reasons are too compelling and the namishness of Apple is high enough that I think it could conceivably work on the right kid - it sounds better that Grape or Pear. Plus Apples have such a wholesome, clean-scrubbed, sunshiny image.
    Girls:
    Catherine/Kathleen, Susan/Susannah, Anne/Anna/Annabeth, Jane, Margaret/Marguerite, Rose/Rosemary, Cecile/Cecily, Flora/Laura, Gwendolen, Paloma, Tabitha, Lucille, Beatrice, Harriet

Boys:
    Frederick, Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy

I think part of why Apple is so ridiculous is because of its sound. Daisy and Lily have those -y endings, and the -ine of Clementine feels very feminine and name-y, while Apple is just...apple. That -ple ending has always sounded a bit silly to me in words like nipple and purple and dimple.

I think the biggest reason, though, is that it just doesn't have a history of use as a name. It's like naming your child Wren vs. naming them Albatross--people are going to raise their eyebrows at albatross simply because they've never heard it used as a name before.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Fionnuala Iphigenia Coraline
    Emmett Kieran August Malcolm Zephyr

I agree that Apple seems a little silly and cutesy, and its lack of history as a name/the fact that food names aren't super common would turn some people off. Also, maybe the fact that it was first used- introduced to society as a name- by a celebrity may make it seem more outlandish, like it's the kind of thing only celebrities could get away with. (Even though Gwyneth Paltrow is pretty normal as far as celebrities go.)

I don't love it enough to use, but I actually quite like Apple as a fun, spunky middle. It seems a bit odd as a first though, and I'd be afraid people would have a hard time taking her seriously.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy