Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    You might try swaddling, putting him in his carseat & rocking or swinging it 'til he falls asleep if he seems tired but doesn't seem to want to settle. We do it with Indira all the time.

We started letting Azula cry to sleep at around 8 months, I wouldn't do it before then unless you just CANT handle any more... in that case, just put him down & walk away. Your sanity is important too.

re: Burping for nighttime feeds: I do it unless I'm laying down to nurse & we fall asleep. If we are awake after nursing I almost always burp her - most of the time if I pat her lower back she poops then too & we avoid a poopsplosion later.
    New username is @ truenature

Haven't read previous posts so don't know if it's already been mentioned but I love the "Baby Whisperer" books. She has great tips for getting your child on a sleeping and eating routine for various baby ages and is especially helpful if this is your first. One of the few books I liked and used on the topic. It worked great with my first two kids and I thought after baby number two we were pretty good parents. Then we had our third and nothing worked and he broke every rule. Then I realized we had been lucky with our first two! He was a horrible sleeper and is 3 and a half, and still wakes up most nights. I think he would have night terrors, waking up unconsolable for a half hour or more. So I suggest that book, but realize every child is different and some are much easier and better sleepers than others.

I wanted to update - my daughter started sleeping fully through the night and napping on a schedule after 5 or 6 days of using The Sleep Lady techniques. I'm very pleased as my research has shown me how damaging crying it out can be, and gentler techniques didn't seem to help. The sleep lady solution wasn't traumatic for either of us, only took two nights of staying awake much more than with her cosleeping frequent wakings (as she improved after the first night) and was a lot easier than I predicted.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

Leadmythoughts- I am very interested- could you summarize the technique you used?

About two weeks before we started we introduced a lovey and started a more set routine, we always use a fan for white noise but you could maybe get a machine or play a cd on repeat, etc, so when he wakes up at 3am he'll still have those associations.

For three nights, we rocked her as usual until she was almost asleep, then placed her down. She of course fussed and woke up, but we repeated this until eventually she was so exhausted she did fall asleep in her crib. The worst was when I had to stay up 1-4 repeating this process (and is get back in bed because she'd seem asleep, but then she wasn't).

She improved right away. Then, for three nights, you place your child in the crib almost asleep, and then pat or rub them until they fall asleep (don't pick them up at all).

Again, do this each time they wake up in the night, even if you have to do it a long time.

Then, for three days, you stand next to the crib if they wake up, but don't touch them. They know you're there, and should be able to fall asleep now.

I also started giving her water in a bottle when she woke in the middle of the night for the first two nights. She now is rarely waking up in the night and going right back to sleep in the crib. We only "cheated" once, and picked her up after the third night when she was very upset (crying quite hard).

We only started this just over a week ago and by the sixth or seventh day she was fully sleeping through the night. Once in a while she'll wake and fuss for a minute or two, but usually goes back asleep, I've only gotten up twice in the past week to help her find her paci or get a drink of water
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13