Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What goes well with Elspeth

I have two daughters, a three year old named Ava Isobella, and an 18 month old named Isla Jean. I'm not pregnant, but am musing about names for a third. I like Elspeth, but am not sure about a middle name. I like Elspeth Cait, but there is already a Kaitlyn and a Katie in close family. I'm looking for something preferably Scottish in origin, but open to other roots. I think one syllable goes well. Any suggestions, oh wise ones?! Thanks in advance :-)
    Last edited by oatcake; April 1st, 2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Ava Isobella 3.5yrs

Isla Jean 1.5 yrs

Just realized Elsbeth is on the homepage today. FML, every time I think the name I've chosen isn't popular, lol..
    Ava Isobella 3.5yrs

Isla Jean 1.5 yrs

My mums name is Elspeth and it is unusual no one can pronounce it right don't take the nameberry home page to mean anything it would be because an Elsbeth Mattea was featured in the monthly report. My mums middle name is Anne (Elspeth Anne)
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Deacon☆Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆

I like Elspeth Cait. I don't think it's an issue that you already have Katelyn/Katies in the family, since it's a middle name and has a different spelling AND is a different name anyway. You could use the Scottish spelling Ceitidh (Katie) and just not explain it

What about...
    Elspeth Iona or Ione (EYE-oh-nee)
    Elspeth Fenella
    Elspeth Imogen
    Elspeth Adair
    Elspeth Annabel
    Elspeth Fiona
    Elspeth Mhairi (technically it's correct pn is VAR-ee, but it's often said MAR-ee in England, even sometimes in Scotland)
    Elspeth Skye
    Elspeth Catriona
    Elspeth Agnes
    Elspeth Cordelia
    Elspeth Rhona
    Elspeth Daphne
    Elspeth Enid

If you really are worried about Elspeth's popularity (it's well-known in the UK, but it's not even very big back there to the extent Isla is, for example), there's also: Bethan/Betsan, Eilish, Lizbet, Maisie, Mirrin, Ailsa - they're a similar style to me, have mostly Scottish roots and are known in the UK, but unheard in the US.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

Thank you for the suggestions! Actually the first name that popped into my head that would go well was Anne, but it has negative connotations for me so I won't use it. Love your suggestions Oliviasarah. I'm from the Highlands (but living in the US) so the Gaelic spellings are popular with me (my own name is Sine-Mairi). I'm not too bothered by the popularity since once I find a name that 'fits' it's hard for me to imagine them being anything else! But I had Ava picked out since childhood, then lo and behold the Ava craze hit when I was pregnant with her, lol. I know it's English not Scottish, but I'm also toying with Elspeth Bea. I love Elsie Bea as a nickname (similar but different to my Isla Jean).
    Ava Isobella 3.5yrs

Isla Jean 1.5 yrs