Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Alison vs Alycin

Hubby and I got into our first sort of baby naming argument. It wasn't really an argument as much as it was a differing of opinions about spelling. We both really like the name Alison but he tends to be one of those that while he likes the name he feels the spelling is too "traditional" as he put it. He prefers Madisyn to Madison, Maisie to Maci, Melani (which I hate) to Melanie and Cidney to Sydney. Now it's Alison which is the way I like to see it spelled against Alycin which he claims he found somewhere online. I am all for alternate spellings as long as they don't look like you tried really hard to make it "different" such as a friend of mine named her daughter Aubreigh and I just kind of thought to myself what was so horrible about Aubrey that she had to spell it like that?

Alison is a really old name that should probably never be spelled Alycin. In the 1400's it was spelled "Alisoun." Even Allyson or Alyson would be better than Alycin, which does look like you're trying too hard. I mean, why change the spelling of a traditional name if you want to be unique? There are so many names to choose from that are uncommon when spelled properly.

Quote Originally Posted by lerenard View Post
    Alison is a really old name that should probably never be spelled Alycin. In the 1400's it was spelled "Alisoun." Even Allyson or Alyson would be better than Alycin, which does look like you're trying too hard. I mean, why change the spelling of a traditional name if you want to be unique? There are so many names to choose from that are uncommon when spelled properly.
    That's what I told my husband, but he's just being stubborn as most men are. He just wants to have his way and unfortunately for him I am not going to give in that easily.

Can't see how come Alycin is pronounced the same way as Alison.

How about: Allison, Alyson, Allyson, Alisson, Alysson...

Alternative spellings are not my style. I would use one of the existing Alison variations: Allison or Alyson, maybe, but Alycin doesn't even look like the same name (although it will sound exactly the same when said out loud).