Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Adolphine?

Quote Originally Posted by fourthseason View Post
    Honestly, Adolph is an extremely common name in Germany and Austria, so actually many people can come up with many faces to the name in regards to every day people and famous people. However, that may not be as true in America, but that is to be expected, seeing as how its not a very American name.

Here are ten famous Adolph throughout history:

1.) Adolph Dassler
    2.) Adolph Von Menzler
    3.) Adolph Freiherr Knigge
    4.) Adolf Anderssen
    5.) Adolf Bastian
    6.) Adolf Hurwitz
    7.) Adolf Eugen Fick
    8.) Adolf Merckle
    9.) Adolf Loos
    10.) Adolf von Henselt

A famous Female JEWISH Adolphine, ADOLPHINE SCHWIMMER-VIGEVENO.

Also, I have family who is named Adolph, and some of them practiced the Jewish religion. As, I stated someone on here, my main concern was with the meaning and if Adolphine sounded more boy than girl. Therefore, as I stated above, if people can except other names despite the BAD Bearers' of the names throughout history, than I'm sure they can see past Adolph. Last I knew, judgment was reserved based on Character not a name alone. However, yes, I will not deny a name can surface a face to any particular person, but actions still speak louder than words. You will not be a neo-nazi or jewish hater by naming a child Adolph/Adolphine, any more than a child named Mary will become the embodiment of Blood mary and began saying off with their heads nor will even choosing the shortened Lizzie for a child will mean that she will kill people with an axe, which the famous Lizzie was proved innocent and acquitted for but many know Lizzie as the killer. I think that is taking judgement a little too far. We can never have 100% proof certainty of persons characteristics and life outcomes.

Source:

http://listverse.com/2011/01/28/top-10-famous-people-named-adolf/

Source:

http://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/...veno-adolphine

Source:

http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/io...hread,11403831
    While I appreciate the history of Adolph/Adolf, MOST people only have ONE Adolf in mind when they hear the name. Not to be boastful but... I consider myself intelligent and well-read and yet none of the eleven people you mentioned here are familiar to me. I don't think I would be alone in my ignorance. People of German/Austrian heritage may be aware of these men and woman but the majority of the population would not. While Adolf WAS common in German-speaking countries before the war, I don't think it's that popular now for the same reason. World War II and the Holocaust are still very much alive on people's minds. Survivors are still living today so it's still fresh wound that is not likely to heal for a long time. It may take a couple of generations before people don't cringe every time they hear the name Adolf. I always give a name my final test: would I want it for myself? I would have to say NO to Adolphine. If you want to use Eulalie Adolphine for a girl, that's your choice. But just be aware of the reaction you'll get from people who don't like the terrible association.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

If the meaning is too manly for you I suggest Adephine. It's a recognized variant of Delphine which has a few different beautiful, feminine meanings.
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    While I appreciate the history of Adolph/Adolf, MOST people only have ONE Adolf in mind when they hear the name. Not to be boastful but... I consider myself intelligent and well-read and yet none of the eleven people you mentioned here are familiar to me. I don't think I would be alone in my ignorance. People of German/Austrian heritage may be aware of these men and woman but the majority of the population would not. While Adolf WAS common in German-speaking countries before the war, I don't think it's that popular now for the same reason. World War II and the Holocaust are still very much alive on people's minds. Survivors are still living today so it's still fresh wound that is not likely to heal for a long time. It may take a couple of generations before people don't cringe every time they hear the name Adolf. I always give a name my final test: would I want it for myself? I would have to say NO to Adolphine. If you want to use Eulalie Adolphine for a girl, that's your choice. But just be aware of the reaction you'll get from people who don't like the terrible association.

So you didn't know that there is more than one Adolph. Some people may NOT be educated well enough on their history to know that fact and on that basis alone perhaps has left them sullied on the name; but you can not assume that Hitler was the ONLY famous bearer and that the name reeks evil, not anymore than Bloody Mary, and gobs of other names. Also, you can't assume that Every person out there is not well educated in their history either. That would be rude and presumptuous! Although, people are welcome to let certain association refrain them from names. For me, its Mary, but not because of bloody Mary, but from associations to everyday Mary's and how those particular everyday Mary's affected my life and the meaning of the name. Also, Adolph has been consistently used until 1990 in the United States and then it went of the radar. So not everyone finds the name bad. Not too mention, I'm not superstitious to a name and to think that a child bearing the name, will be the embodiment of evil.
    Last edited by fourthseason; March 31st, 2014 at 05:36 PM.
    Tcc

You're being rude, fourthseason. You come on here asking for opinions and when you get them, you get all touchy because it's not what you want to hear. Frankly, you do this often and I, and I'm sure other mods, are getting a little frustrated with it. If you don't want to hear opinions that are contrary to yours, don't post. You have no reason to call people uneducated or anything. I also think of myself as very well educated and well read. I am VERY aware there are more people in the world named Adolph/Adolf than Hitler. Do I know any personally? No. So what's the only Adolph/Adolf I can think of that I know anything about? Hitler. It'll be that way with 90% of the people you meet.

And with your logic, because there are more people in the world named something like Lucifer, I can name my son Lucifer. Based on your last argument, I can, right? I can name my son Lucifer and because there are people in the world named Lucifer I can do it and expect people on here to leave me alone and everyone to love it. Or Jezebel? Stalin? How about Swaztika? It has a nice ring to it and it meant things before the Nazis took it. It's okay because of that?

I'm sorry for being so snippy, but I do get tired of watching 3 + pages build up because you start getting mad at people for not praising whatever name you're asking about. Not everyone will like it. You can't just argue with everyone who doesn't like. You can't call people names and insult people because they don't like it. Most people in the US, where you live, don't know anyone named Adolf. Most of them weren't taught about anyone named Adolf in school. They will think of Hitler.

As for the name, it's a lovely name. The meaning is fabulous. It's decently fine in the middle.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

You genuinely thought of those off the top of your head? I'm not sure I believe that. I racked my brains and I thought of Adolphe Thiers, and I would not consider him to be a well-known historical figure (or a positive one for that). Of course I could easily look up the names Adolphe / Adolf on Wikipedia and find a lot of historical namesakes, but do they spring to mind? No, only Hitler does. Almost everybody knows the name Adolf Hitler, the historical super-villain of the 20th century. There is no other Adolf / Adolphe that even comes close to matching that fame.

The situation is completely different from Mary. Hand on my heart, the first Mary that came to my mind was Mary Berry who writes recipe books. And then the virgin Mary. If I went on thinking about it I would be able to come up with dozens more without looking anything up. I'm not sure how long it would take me to even get to Queen Mary (who by the way is not even remotely comparable to a man who orchestrated the genocide of 6 million people). For Mary, it would be different for everyone, but I can guarantee that for 99% of people, the first (and very possibly only) association for Adolphe is Hitler. That's the reason that nobody would blink at Mary, which has hundreds of associations, good, bad and neutral, but they really can't see past Adolphe, which has one very big, very bad association.

Adolphine looks clearly like what it is, a feminine version of Adolph. So if you used it, you can expect people you don't know you to wonder about whether you are in some way a fan of Hitler. Sure, they'd be wrong, but it would happen. Don't use it if you don't want that to happen. If you don't care about people you don't know making unpleasant assumptions about you then go for it. Not everyone does care about that sort of thing, and of course not everyone would have access to your kid's middle name.

According to my German friends, the Germans with the name were basically all born before 1944. So there are some old men named Adolf but no little boys; the name is dying out. I actually just did look it up on Wikipedia and found one notable Adolf that was born post-1944, some Austrian footballer that I doubt is on the tip of everyone's tongues even in his homeland.

I'm really not trying to be unkind, only realistic. Nobody said your child would be evil if you named it that. The etymological meaning is cool for a boy or a girl. The cultural meaning is a minefield.
    Last edited by jackal; March 31st, 2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: oops mistake
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa