Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rethinking Maria...

I never really liked Maria. I grew up as a Protestant in a Catholic state and it was always to tied to the Virgin Mary for me. It was too Catholic and it felt a little old fashioned. However, it occurred to me last week that maybe I should rethink her and her variants.

My maternal-grandmother and mother’s mn’s are Maria. My fiancés comes from a Scotch-Irish Catholic family and his grandmother was a Maria nn Mimi. We aren’t anywhere close to having kids yet but it feels like choosing a Maria variant mn would be a great way to honor both families.

So... Maria still doesn’t work for me all that well and Mimi is also out (my FH has second cousin’s with both of those names - we see them and their families quite a bit).

Below is my current Maria list and I would love peoples thoughts.
    Miren, Miriam/Mirjam, Mariele, Malia, Moira, Mere, Maja, Marita, Mayra, Mairwen, and Mirele

Or just share your favorite variant - and why you love it.

Thanks everyone.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

I like Moira but I really, really like Marian/Marion - for the Robin Hood and Indiana Jones characters.
    ~ "The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names" ~

today's favorites: Celia, Cassandra and Arthur, Inigo.

My favorite Marys: Maris, Maren, Marianna & Marietta (though this one is too closely tied to place names near me that I couldn't personally use).

On your list I am drawn to Marita and Mairwen. I love Maja, but wouldn't consider her a Maria. I also love Mireille (mee-ray), though its more similar in sound than actually being a Mary variation.

I personally love Maren / Marin.
    Mickie

| Éloïse | Camille | Sophie-Anne |
    | Sébastien | Luca | Cédric |

Crushing on : Aldéric, Emeric & Laurianne

Maria's been growing on me too. I like Miriam but I think my favorite variant is Mariana.
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Selene | Thalia | Persephone | Ariadne | Lilia | Jane | Nicoletta | Natalia | Evangeline |

| Dimitri | Augustus | Paul | Jude | Tobias | Basil | Nico | Samuel | James | Abram |
    Pondering:
    | Artemis | Cassandra | Cleo | Delia | Eleanora | Helena | Marceline | Marcella | Sylvia | Malachi | Thaddeus |

GP:
    | Thisbe | Cassiopeia | Lachlan | Emerson |

Have a fabulous day!