Names Searched Right Now:

Name Personalities.

I renamed a whole bunch of characters in The Awakening and I want opinions on their names. Not in context of the story, just in general. I just want to see what you name nerds have to say about the names.

What I'm looking for is for you to look at these names and tell me what type of person you see. Personality, mostly. Please?

Girls:

Zohara
    Enzela
    Cahaia
    Millicent
    Uliana
    Viveka
    Desdemona
    Iona
    Zenovia
    Dinorah
    Althea
    Ardea
    Leona
    Nerezza
    Mirna
    Xola
    Lilivere

Boys:

Gunvor
    Catayo
    Zahir
    Cassander
    Renault
    Gajendra nn Jen
    Tirion
    Boldon
    Llewin

Thanks in advance
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Hi Dantea, hope you and your family are well. Since I don't personally know anyone with these names in real life, the images in my head are coming from the sound and look of the names themselves.

Girls:

Zohara - a dark, sinister character. Long black hair and piercing eyes. A real fiery force of nature.
    Enzela - this name seems evil although it sounds feminine. A strong and feminine woman who manipulates people to get her way.
    Cahaia - ethereal and dainty. A soft, dreamy and feminine fairy-type girly-girl.
    Millicent - down-to-earth, naive, sweet, dependable person. Still waters run deep.
    Uliana - sophisticated and cultured with exotic tastes.
    Viveka - a strong somewhat harsh woman who has some hard knocks in her life that has left her with an underlying bitterness.
    Desdemona - The meaning and Shakespearean character are a big influence on the image of this name. Tragic, unfortunate and bitter woman who will never be happy in love or life.
    Iona - a woman of the land - strong, bold, hardworking and built to last. She's tall and full figured.
    Zenovia - a woman who is not afraid to use whatever means possible to get what she wants
    Dinorah - an airy sounding name so I see an otherworldly woman with a quirky personality
    Althea - a strong and majestic female leader. Not a woman to cross.
    Ardea - a devoted wife and mother. She's passionate and seductive with a hint of mystery.
    Leona - a powerful mother figure who will protect her family by whatever means at her disposal.
    Nerezza - a formidable and high-spirited woman with a mysterious quality
    Mirna - the sound of the name is kind of a downer so I picture a poor, unfortunate old lady who hasn't had much luck in her life.
    Xola - I'm getting an exotic African vibe from this name probably because it reminds me of the Xhosa Tribe. A tall and proud woman who displays a surprising inner strength when challenged.
    Lilivere - tall, blond and blue-eyed woman who is not afraid to fight for what she believes in.

Boys:

Gunvor - the name itself is harsh and violent sounding so I'm feeling that this guy is bad news. A king built on revenge, a man used to getting his own way, a guy who dances to the beat of his own drum.
    Catayo - a dark-hair Lothario who charms the ladies wherever he goes.
    Zahir - a formidable opponent when crossed. A man who likes the comforts of life.
    Cassander - a strong but sensitive blond young man. The name gives me a romantic vibe too.
    Renault - this is a French car name so I'm getting the image of a small, compact and reliable man!
    Gajendra nn Jen - a Hindu name for "king of elephants"? Interesting choice. A loyal fighter who defends his country
    Tirion - this is usually a Welsh girls name so I'm getting a soft and sensitive image for a guy. He could be a blond knight who doesn't have the same passion for fighting that he once had in his youth.
    Boldon - a brave fighter and loyal friend
    Llewin - This name gives me different vibes: he could be a musician, a charming courtier, a loyal subject, a ladies man??? A Llewin can be anyone.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Thanks Mischa. I cleared my inbox, BTW, so you can PM me now :P

Here's the ones that struck me as particularly spot on:

Desdemona - The meaning and Shakespearean character are a big influence on the image of this name. Tragic, unfortunate and bitter woman who will never be happy in love or life. -- My main villain, the evil woman. It's a perfect fit.
    Zenovia - a woman who is not afraid to use whatever means possible to get what she wants -- This one is actually like, 14, but she's everything you said
    Althea - a strong and majestic female leader. Not a woman to cross. -- She's a part time torturer, part time healer who switches to the good side

Boys:

Gunvor - the name itself is harsh and violent sounding so I'm feeling that this guy is bad news. A king built on revenge, a man used to getting his own way, a guy who dances to the beat of his own drum. -- My god of war :P
    Catayo - a dark-hair Lothario who charms the ladies wherever he goes. -- This is my god of wisdom. Picture Sam Neill
    Zahir - a formidable opponent when crossed. A man who likes the comforts of life. -- He's my lovable rogue. Grew up really poor. Formidable when crossed, yes.
    Renault - this is a French car name so I'm getting the image of a small, compact and reliable man! -- Not spot on in the least, but hilariously opposite what this guy actually is so I like it. I like ironic names.
    Gajendra nn Jen - a Hindu name for "king of elephants" -- He's the prince of this land. I thought the meaning was funny considering the character (he's an elephant :P)
    Tirion - this is usually a Welsh girls name so I'm getting a soft and sensitive image for a guy. He could be a blond knight who doesn't have the same passion for fighting that he once had in his youth. -- He's on older man, so this is good. I had no idea this was a girl name O_o. I'll change the spelling to Tyrion. Then it's a color. :P
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Proud Mama to:
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    Tirion - He's on older man, so this is good. I had no idea this was a girl name O_o. I'll change the spelling to Tyrion. Then it's a color. :P
    He's also a major character in A Song of Ice and Fire, spelt Tyrion. I might rethink this one.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Meh. Tyrion/Tirion is a more minor character. I can't avoid every name of a famous character (specially when it's a color anyway) just because another book has one. :P

Proud Mama to:
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014