Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I need your creativity!

Alright Berries, I need your creativity!
    I absolutely love the name Rio. There are many names I love, but for some reason I always come back to Rio. I like it on both boys and girls, but especially love it on a girl. But I worry she'd be mistaken for a boy if Rio was her full name. But we can't find a full name we love that leads to Rio as a nickname.

We've talked about Oriana and Catriona but our surname is really long and we've decided that 4+ syllables would just be too annoying for her, so 3 syllables is the limit. We've also talked about Riona and Bryony but we're not too fond of them, and I feel like with River she'd have the same problem of being mistaken for a boy.

So berries, what full names could we use to get to the nickname Rio? Or are my fears unfounded and we should use Rio as the full name?

Thank you!
    Mummy to
    Toby Oliver Louis (23/04/2015)
    TTC #2

Girls:
    Lyra, Ostara, Inara, Ember, Alba, Safira, Winter, Delilah, Freya, Summer, Matilda, Willow, Oriana, Evie, Marguerite

Boys:
    Remi, Rowan, Archer, George, Flynn, Edward, Felix, Harry, Caspian, Caleb, Oaken, Ronan, Arthur

Rio sounds fine to me as a standalone name for a girl. In Spanish it's a masculine word, so I can see why some people might interpret it as a boy's name, but otherwise it's so unusual, I don't think the majority of people will have many preconceived notions about Rio before they meet her. I don't really see the point in picking out a longer name that you don't necessarily love just to get to a nickname, especially if you never actually plan to call her by the longer name.
    Coraline Anastasia ✧ Helena Roxanne ✧ Scarlet Meredith

✧✨✧🌙 ✧✨✧

Casper Jude ✧ Laurence Victor "Law" ✧ Leo Caspian/Victor

I've actually met a darling little girl named Rio. It was adorable on her, and so I know it can definitely work as a standalone name. People might see the name on paper and assume she is a boy, but honestly, with so many unisex names now, I don't think it's a big deal. Once they meet her it shouldn't be a problem at all, so if you love it the most as a full name, I say go for it!

While I don't think it's unusable as a full name, it does feel like a nickname to me.

Here's some suggestions:
    Rhiannon
    Rosario
    Victoria could even work
    Riona/Rionah
    Eliora
    Majorie

But of course,if you are in love with the full name Rio then go for it! It is all about what name you love and want to use.
    Favorites
    Mary Elowen | Jakelyn Odette | Natalia Jean | Wyatt Lee | Kaladin Todd

Girls
    Hermione |Avacyn | Winter | Elizabeth | Eloise | Annslee

Boys
    Arlen| Waylon | Ascanio | Garcia | Huxley | Hugo | Montgomery

Guilty Pleasures
    Narcissa | Sahara| Charity| Mercedes | Scorpius | Severus

Rosario is a wonderful suggestion and the only one that screams the nickname Rio to me.
    current favourite:
    Esme Olivia

proud aunt to:
    Isabelle Anne (b. 06.06.2015)
    TBC (due June 2017)