Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone with é ë ï etc. in their name

I prefer names including these accents, ie Maëlle, Esmé, but I wonder if including the accents poses any problem or difficulty down the line? On legal or government documents for example, if they don't write it properly, and it doesn't match an ID or birth certificate, does that cause a problem? Is it better to just forego the accent for simplicity's sake?
    If only I could make a living naming other people's children...

Girl names I'm loving right now: Leonor, Jane, Daisy, Arabella, Francesca, Georgia, Violet, Flora, Raphaela, Beatrice, Winter, Zara, Sophie, Delia, Bronwen
    Boy names I love (after naming 5 of my own): Gideon, Watson, Magnus, Miles, Oliver, Callum, Felix, Rafferty/Rafe, Edmund, Adlai, Declan, Bram

If you live in the US you cannot have diacritical marks on official paperwork such as social security cards, passports, and in most states, birth certificates.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    If you live in the US you cannot have diacritical marks on official paperwork such as social security cards, passports, and in most states, birth certificates.
    This.

My cousin is Desirée but on every piece of government paperwork imaginable, she is Desiree. Even though her mom still spells her name with the diacritical mark, my cousin never does.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

It depends where you live. I'm in Canada, and I have an é in my middle name. It's always included on government paperwork. I rarely use my middle name in my day-to-day life, so I'm not sure if it would be an issue.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

What dindlee said. I worked with a little Zoe with the umlaut on the E and she had a horrendous time. Even in our systems her name was missing the umlaut. When I was looking to name Persephone, I remember having a conversation about this sort of thing with her (before we knew it was a girl and were thinking about Soren with the dash through the O) and she regrets the umlaut. Zoe doesn't spell her own name with it, no one EVER does, it's not on any of her paperwork or in any of the doctors files or anything. It's basically just Zoe's mom who uses it. It doesn't add anything to the name and she's had such a hard time with it.

I'd suggest just leaving the marks off unless they are absolutely needed.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014