Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ariane/Arianne/Ariadne

Hello!

I'm french so, please, don't worry if my question looks a little surprising.

Do you know if the name Ariane/Arianne is used in english-speaking countries? If yes, what is the commonest form: with 1 n or with 2? If no, is Ariadne the correct english form of this name?

Thank you very much!

They're all uncommon names in English-speaking countries, but people would definitely recognize all of them. Arianna/Ariana would be more common (both very popular in the USA). I would use the Arianne spelling if you wanted to use that form.

Ariadne is Greek, but was used in England mostly by upper-class families in the past century. Most people would just assume it was Greek; it's the rarest form that you've listed. It's also my favourite!

I should add pronunciations (with my English accent), I say...

Arianna/Ariana = AH-REE-ah-nah.
    Arianne/Ariane = ah-ree-AHN
    Ariadne = AH-ree-ADD-nee
    Last edited by oliviasarah; March 27th, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

Agree with the poster above me, Arianna is much more common, but I like Arianne much more! I've never met an Ariadne of any age.

I believe Ariana is the correct English form, Ariadne is Greek. Ariane/Arianne is sweet, but, in my horrible North American accent, it comes out sounding very nasal. Do keep in mind that, in English, they will get a variety of different pronunciations.

Ariana - Air-ee-ah-na/Ar-ee-ah-nah
    Arianna - Air-ee-anna/Ar-ee-anna
    Ariane - Ar-ee-ahn/Air-ee-ahn
    Arianne - Ar-ee-anne/Air-ee-anne.

Ariadne is nice, but I feel as though the D might cause issues.

Arianna is currently the most popular in the USA, at 49th, and Ariana is 74th. Ariane, Arianne, and Ariadne do not rank in the United States.

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Eleanor | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha | Freya |

In English, the mythological character is called Ariadne.