Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Controversial religious question

I was talking to my parents about names for the baby I am expecting.
    When I mentioned Isaac my dad said "That's a Jewish name".
    Honestly, I don't even know anyone who is Jewish so it certainly never occurred to me that it might be perceived as from a particular religion. Mum corrected him and said "It's Old Testament not necessarily Jewish. Lot's of Old Testament names are popular these days."

If a child was called Isaac would people assume they were Jewish?
    If that is the case, does that mean I shouldn't use it if we're not Jewish?

I just liked the sound of it, so this whole religious debate from my parents has confused me.
    It is not my intention to be disrespectful or rude.
    Last edited by emiliaj; March 27th, 2014 at 05:57 AM.
    BABY GIRL FINALLY DUE 5 October after 2 Years of IVF
    Delivery booked: Debuting on or before 26th September!

Current favourite "top" 3 girls names for little Miss: Phoebe Rose Eloise
    Other (MNs probably) we like: Matilda Madeleine Charlotte Eliza Violet Kate Jade Elizabeth Iris Scarlett Felicity Chloe

Current (but never to be used...) favourite boy names: Oliver Thomas Henry William Alexander Flynn Liam Hugo Isaac Bennett Nikolai Reid Edward nn Ned Gus Tobias Austin Blake

Isaac is a Biblical name, not necessarily a Jewish name. I really don't think people would expect you to be Jewish. In Australia, where I'm from, Biblical names are extremely popular for everyone, not just for religious people
    ~ Married ~ Planning TTC Late 2014 ~

Austen Theodore|Elliott Hezekiah

Charlotte Evangeline|Matilda Florence|Adelaide Elizabeth

Go ahead keep loving Isaac. Your mother is right it is a classic Old Testament name and well loved by many in the British Isles and beyond and one doesn't have to have a religious affiliation to use the name Isaac.

Isaac means laughter and I think that is a great meaning. I like it a lot and am surprised that there aren't more Isaacs around.

rollo
    Psalm 23

It's not disrespectful. It's fine if you like it. I'm Jewish, I know lots of Jewish guys named Isaac, (it *is* a very classic name amongst Jews) I also know Isaacs who aren't.

The only thing is if you're worried about people assuming your son is Jewish when they see resumes and such when he's grown. That's a decision you'll have to make re: possible discrimination or preconceptions.

But I will say most of the anti-Semitic flak I've heard people get, or have gotten myself, is about *last* names.

Biblical names are more fashionable in the mainstream than they were a hundred years ago, or even fifty, anyway. 43 of the Top Hundred names in the US are Biblical names - only 16 were in 1914.

If you used the Hebrew spelling (Yitzhak) then I'd assume you were probably Jewish, but there are definitely non-Jewish Isaacs around in the US, UK, and Oz.

Your Mum is right.
    Don't let your parents religious debate sway your thoughts on Isaac, it's a lovely name.
    I have only met non-Jewish Isaacs (Australia) , from your spelling of 'Mum' is it right to assume you are from UK or Oz?
    ~I love hunting for names in cemeteries, give it a go~
    some gravestone favorites:
    Nightingale ,Australia May, Pearl Mary Florence,
    Daisy Lily Dearling, Violet Kitty Vera, Dunbar Louise,
    Octavius Fitz
    Due with our first - 22nd November 2014 <3