Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A ? for Americans on Finley

So, my husband and I really like the name Finley (nn Finn) and it is one of our top contenders to name our little boy to be born this August My concern is that here in America it is becoming somewhat more trendy for little girls. (It seems that in the UK and Australia it is still reserved almost exclusively for boys--as I wish it were here in the US). So yes, we really like this name but don't want the gender ambiguity to present annoying problems for him down the road. So I'm wondering of the American nameberries :
    What are your thoughts on this name?
    Would you make an assumption of gender if you saw the name written down?
    Do you know many/any Finleys of either gender in your area?
    Do you think it would be better to go w/ our next choice of "Clark(e)"?

Thank-you SOOOOOOOOO much for your help! This choosing of a boy name seems so overwhelming to me.

(The full names we're trying to decide between are Finley Maxwell [1 syllable last name]
    and Clark(e) Finley [1 syllable last name] just so you have the full picture

I'll just step in to recommend the traditional spelling of Finlay and then step out again.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Hey! I'm an American representing the west coast.

What are your thoughts on this name? I think it's a cute name. I can't really picture it on an adult, but I'm sure he would make it work.

Would you make an assumption of gender if you saw the name written down? I wouldn't really assume any gender if I saw it written down, because it's pretty much right in the middle of the unisex area right now, but I think it's definitely starting to lean towards the girls.

Do you know many/any Finleys of either gender in your area? No, but I'm not around children very often.

Do you think it would be better to go w/ our next choice of "Clark(e)"? I'm a fan of Clark. I think it's a really cute name and it would work perfectly on a grown man. That being said, I think that you should go with a name that you really love and not just your second choice. I noticed that you said that you were going to call him Finn anyway, so would you consider his full name being Finn? Or even something just a little bit more boy-ish like Finnegan?

Hope I could help!

I would suggest Finn, Flynn, or Clark. Clark Finley flows well enough, but it could sound better.
    Clark Donovan

Also, other F names or names similar to Finley:

Foster, Quentin ( Quinn ), Cyrus, Fletcher, Landon, Grey, Greyson, Van, Vincent ( Vince )

Roman, Jude, Kai, Nikolai or Malachi

What are your thoughts on this name? I really like the name Finn and I have it on my boys list. It does seem that it's becoming a girl name, just like most names that have "-ley" on the end.

Would you make an assumption of gender if you saw the name written down? No, I still consider it unisex but it does seem to be making a move towards a girl name.

Number of Girls in 2012 given the name: Finley (903), Finnley (99), Finleigh (42), Finlee (41), Fynlee (23), Finlay (14), Fynley (11), Findley (7), Phinley (6), Finnlee (6), Fynleigh (5), Fynnleigh (5)

Number of Boys in 2012 given the name: Finley (473), Finnley (119), Finlay (36), Findlay (13), Findley (9)

Do you know many/any Finleys of either gender in your area? No, but I know very few children besides the ones that my family and friends are having.

Do you think it would be better to go w/ our next choice of "Clark(e)"? I think both names are great. I like Clark and I think, just like Finn, it would sound great on a boy. I don't think the fact that Finley is a more unisex name should sway you away if you love it.