Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions On Ptolemy

I've got mixed reviews on Ptolemy. I absolutely adore it, and I can actually imagine having a little boy called Ptolemy. There are obviously going to be some problems with spelling and pronunciation, but the first time I saw it I said it correctly, and the same goes for my friends. Even for a child learning how to spell their name, I wouldn't think it's too difficult. Apart from the silent P, it's pretty straight forward, and my name has an 'i' said with an 'ee' sound, and a silent h, and I managed fine.

Anyway, I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of the name. You don't have to answer all the questions.
    1. What do you think of the name?
    2. How would you pronounce it?
    3. How difficult is it to spell? Manageable or too hard?
    4. Do you like Ptolemy Alexander Finn or Ptolemy Arthur Blaise?
    5. How does it sound with Caspian, Phoenix, & Lorenzo?

This is all hypothetical, but I'd really appreciate your opinions.

Thank you! Myosotis
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    Pandora Valencia FaeEvanthe Lyra Annabeth
    Little Misses
    Caspian Sherlock WalterPhoenix Arthur Blaise
    Mister Men

Crushing on... ✦ AmadeaGeorgianaViolaPtolemyArchieHamish
    "'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •

1. I like the sound of it but I dislike the meaning 'aggressive' and it looks like a medical procedure
    2. TAHL-uh-mee
    3. well it isn't spelt how it sounds at all so I guess it could cause problems but if people are told how the spell/pronounce it then they will learn the correct way
    4. I think Ptolemy Finn Alexander flows better than Ptolemy Alexander Finn because Ptolemy and Alexander both have an 'ah' sound so I think it's better with something in between. I prefer this to Ptolemy Arthur Blaise
    5. I guess they're all fairly unusual so they could work together
    Just a 19 year old weirdly obsessed with names, no babies in the near future

Aila Anwen Arianwen Aveline Calla Caoimhe Cosima Fionnuala Hazel Hestia Josephine Rowan
    Alaric Asa Evander Ezra Jasper Leander Lucas Orion Perseus Ruairi

1. What do you think of the name? Ptolemy is a big name to carry. It's like Galileo or Archimedes in that way. It is definitely smart sounding, but I don't think it would work on every child. I think it could be used, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Besides that I like the sound and history behind it, but non-name nerds would think you're crazy.
    2. How would you pronounce it? Taul-uh-mee I think.
    3. How difficult is it to spell? Manageable or too hard? Eh, he would have to spell it out for people. I grew up with an unpronounceable name, and I hated it, but I don't know if boys mind it as much. I think it is a heavy name, not usable for every person, the child would have to be able to wear it.
    4. Do you like Ptolemy Alexander Finn or Ptolemy Arthur Blaise? Ptolemy Alexander Finn
    5. How does it sound with Caspian, Phoenix, & Lorenzo? I think it stands out in those names. Caspian, Phoenix, and Lorenzo are all uncommon but not unheard of as names, where as Ptolemy is really uncommon and obscure. I think Caspian would be best in a sibset with Ptolemy. I would imagine Ptolemy's siblings to be named Hermes and Titus and Augustus, not so much Phoenix and Lorenzo.
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Selene | Lilia | Thalia | Jane | Natalia | Persephone | Alice | Calliope | Nina |

| Dimitri | Augustus | Linus | Jude | Thomas | Basil | Abram | Samuel | Elliott | Jasper |

Pondering: Nephele/Nephelie/Nephelë/Nefeli
    Help me out? http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...hele?p=2669057

GP:
    | Thisbe | Cassiopeia | Briseis | Lachlan | Emerson | Callum |

Have a fabulous day!

I say it TOLE-uh-me. I love it, and I think it would be amazing along with Caspian and Lorenzo (also favorites of mine!). I don't like it with Phoenix as much, because Phoenix tends to be unisex and a bit new-age in use. For the record though, I don't like Phoenix and Lorenzo together either.

The spelling is a bear but it's not any worse than Phoenix, realistically.

Of your combos, I like Ptolemy Arthur Blaise the best.
    My March arrival:
    Dulcinea Tesla
    We call her Daisy
    in honor of my mom.

Thanks for the replies!
    @potofgold- The meaning does put me off a bit, but I love everything else about the name too much to be too bothered, even though meanings usually matter quite a bit.

@hardertobreathe- For me the -Lemy ending makes it a bit more useable and a little less heavy, a bit like Bellamy. And I think I just get drawn to difficult to live up to names, I've got Amadeus and Sherlock on my list as well!

@saracita00- I'm glad that it goes with (the majority) of the sibset, but I don't know if I'll ever get over Phoenix. Caspian, Phoenix, and Ptolemy especially, I thought sounded kind of mystical and mythological, although of course that's only really the case with Phoenix.

@claraoswinoswald (Epic user name btw)- I agree that it is a matter of people getting used to a name and its pronunciation/spelling. One of my best friends has a name that's awkward(ish) to say correctly, but everyone's fine with it now.
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    Pandora Valencia FaeEvanthe Lyra Annabeth
    Little Misses
    Caspian Sherlock WalterPhoenix Arthur Blaise
    Mister Men

Crushing on... ✦ AmadeaGeorgianaViolaPtolemyArchieHamish
    "'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •