Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Input from those who care about popularity

I wish I could say popularity doesn't bother me but it does somewhat. Willow is my favorite girl name and has been since I was little. Sadly it's becoming kind of popular and more known due to people like Willow Smith or Pink's baby Willow Sage.

In the US, it is #171 for 2012 (I can't wait for 2013 stats!) but in my state, which I care more about, it was #87 with 72 babies being named Willow that year. I know 72 sounds low but I don't live in a very big state. For comparison, the top name in my state, Emma, had 470 babies named that and the 100th top name in my state, Alexa, had 65. I've never personally met a Willow but I'm not around children very often aside from nieces & nephews to see if it's actually noticeably popular here.

Willow has also been growing in popularity very rapidly and that worries me about it being very trendy and dated eventually. In the overall stats for the US, this is how it has grown in 5 years:

2008 - 407
    2009 - 314
    2010 - 289
    2011 - 200
    2012 - 171

To add to that, it started at #731 in 1999 (I assume from Buffy) so it has jumped 560 spots in 13 years.

So all in all, would these stats hold you back from your favorite name if popularity was important to you? What is your opinion on Willow in a popularity/trendy sense? Do you think it will become dated?

Our other girl options are Vera and Noelle. Noelle has stayed consistent for a long time and is in the 300 range. I do somewhat worry about Vera with the "vintage" name trend but not as much as Willow. We have been TTC for a long time so I think about this alot. We are set on a boy name and I keep having dreams about having a baby named Willow but all of this info holds me back from it. The combo that I love in particular is Willow Seraphina.
    Last edited by shilo; March 27th, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
    - Favorites -
    Calla . Evelyn . Hazel . Iris . Lilia . Lilith . Noelle . Rose . Ruby . Vera . Willow
    Connor . Evan . Ezra . Foster . Grey . Kieran . Rowan . Shane . Silas . Zane

- Top Picks -
    Willow Evelyn & Foster Grey

- Rainbow Baby BOY Due June 2, 2015 -

If you love a name then forget about everybody else. It is difficult, I definitely try to steer away from popular names but sometimes just keep coming back. I would especially keep it if it was one of your favourites before it rose in popularity.
    My favourite girls name at the moment is fairly unusual, but its on the rise and I always worry that in four or five years time it may be in the top twenty and I always wonder if I'd still use it if it was. I can't imagine ever changing my mind though.
    My point is, that if you really really love a name and keep coming back to it no matter what, then use it. Because at the end of the day, even if your Willow is one of three in a class, she will always be different to the other Willows

I love the combo Willow Seraphina btw
    Sienna, Laura, Charlotte, Aimee, Ellison, Molly, Clara
    Kurtis, Ronan, Kai, Cameron, Miles, Emmett, Ramsey, Elliott

Thanks for the input! I really have loved it forever, long before the popularity rise. My sister gave me a baby name book in the late 90s after she had my nephew. I have been making name lists ever since and it started my name obsession. Willow is literally the only girl name that has made every single girl list I've made since I was 8. I thought I could let it go but now I'm not sure anymore after all the dreams I keep having.
    - Favorites -
    Calla . Evelyn . Hazel . Iris . Lilia . Lilith . Noelle . Rose . Ruby . Vera . Willow
    Connor . Evan . Ezra . Foster . Grey . Kieran . Rowan . Shane . Silas . Zane

- Top Picks -
    Willow Evelyn & Foster Grey

- Rainbow Baby BOY Due June 2, 2015 -

Judging popularity is so difficult! There are names that out of the blue jump 400 spaces and break into the top 100, then there are those that climb steadily and wind up in the top 50. Then those that climb steadily and then stay put. Or just drop off suddenly.

I would say that by those stats Willow has climbed consistently, but not rapidly. I think there's a good chance that it will continue (not, say, jumping to top 10, which would be rapid) this steady climb or it very well could plato at around 171. As it is, there wasn't much of a leap between 2011 and 2012, compared to previous years.

Stats don't hold me back, unless I'm looking at top 10 - 20 names really (even then, I don't care -- I, for example, love Ava). Beyond that, many of the names I don't hear nearly enough to make me think "too popular" and even avoiding top 100 names or what have you doesn't mean your kid won't be "____ A."

The other thing to keep in mind is that parents nowadays are not nearly as inclined to go for top names as parents of previous generations. This makes even popular names less popular than yesteryear.

I know a few Willows. None of them are under the age of 10. All are from different regions of the USA.

Willow Seraphina is lovely.

I'm always concerned about popularity - but I think you're in a safe range. For us, you would be what we call the "sweet spot" - a name that is known and used and not abnormal, but she probably won't have another person named the same in her own class. Perhaps another one or two in the whole school, if you have a large school. I would def still use it - Willow Seraphina is beautiful.
    I really think most of the horrible popularity problems are from probably the top 25 names - those are the ones repeated so much that they cause real issues. There's a big difference between the top 25 and the top 100-200 in my opinion, I don't think you'll suffer name regret. A little bit of commonality means she'll be accepted, and spelled correctly, and not "you're parents must have been hippies!"
    Cheers,
    alphabetters

My beautiful babies:
    Elena Rose (Ellie/Laney) 2011
    Felicity Iris Ruth (Lissy) 2012
    Archer Lawrence (Archie) 2014

Favourite future names: Broderick Pearson (Brock) or Griffin Pearson (Griffers) & Georgia Pearl (Gigi)