Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Am I Asking Too Much?

Sorry to post again! I promise I'll cool it after this!! I'm just so confused and lost

I loved "Ana" (ON-uh, not Anna "ANNE-uh") and thought it would be fine to use it as a nickname for a French name; however that became extremely hard and the ones I like would cause so much confusion that it's just not a good idea. So now I'm trying to find just a French name; but even that is pretty hard.

I would really, really like to avoid names with accents in them as I just think it really complicates things and I want something that sounds and or looks French but is still easy to say and write in English. Am I asking for too much? To I need to go more one way or the other? (I.e. finding a French name that may cause pronunciation issues or spelling issues but use it anyway since it is a French name?)

So far I like these but have concerns about most of them

Madeleine (though there are so many different spellings)
    Josephine (though I'm not sure about this with "jur-roo")
    Delphine (like but not LOVING it)
    Emilie (but it may look like a cute spelling for Emily since Americans are known for "yooneek" spellings of names)
    Emeline (see above for concern with "Emmeline")
    Aurore (I feel as though it may get confused with Aurora instead)

Do you have anything that fits (if you didn't happen to get the idea; the name has to be French)?

Madeleine- I love Madeleine, and only this spelling. She would probably have to spell it, but I don't think it's a huge deal. So many people have to do that nowadays because of "yooneek" spellings.

Josephine- I like alliteration in names. Josephine "Jur-roo" sounds fine to me.

Delphine- I think it's lovely.

Emilie- A lot of people would probably assume it's a "yooneek" spelling, which is a shame.

Emeline- Ditto.

Aurore- It just doesn't sound appealing.

I posted some suggestions on your previous thread, but I can't remember all of them.
    "Walter. That’s good. I’ve never known a little kid named Walter. It seems like an old man’s name, but I guess you have to start somewhere."

rowgeesee- I think right now, if I were told I had to pick from the list I posted, Delphine would be my choice (Della may be a cute nickname?) then followed by Madeleine (though I worry about the spelling). I like Josephine and think Josie could be cute but I've always hated alliteration which is why I'm not sure about Josephine "jur-roo"

How about:
    Charlotte
    Elodie - Love this!
    Valentine (Valentine, Marion, Coline and Fleur might run into problems in English, but I think the rest are ok)
    Marie
    Marion
    Camille
    Coline (for this one, Valentine, Marie, Marion, Gabrielle, Esme and Camille, I know real french girls who's names these are)
    Elise (I guess it would have an accent, but you could do it without?)
    Gabrielle
    Fleur
    Sophie
    Christine
    Amelie
    Adele
    Eloise
    Esme
    Julie
    Juliet / Juliette (I think the 2nd looks a bit more french)
    Nathalie
    Simone
    Vivienne
    Violette
    Michelle
    Valerie
    Claire
    Annette

Does it have to be French? Or does it just have to work in french? For example, I think, Ondine could work in french, but it's not a french name. Ideas (with nn Ona pronounced the way you like):
    Ondine
    Onna
    Onele
    Onnie
    Onorine
    Last edited by waverly123; March 19th, 2014 at 07:39 PM.
    Isla, Sadie, Neva, Thalia, Leora, Sylvia, Maeve, Flora, Aria & Tessa
    Noah, Henry, Ronan, Wyatt, August, Caleb, Grant, Charlie, Flynn & Alfie

waverly123- My name is actually Eloise (though I always get called Ellie) so I think I want to avoid a name being with "El" just because I'm not totally comfortable with a name that is super close to mine. I like Sophie and I think Fleur could grow on me but it just seems so short and incomplete, maybe? I do like Juliet/Juliette and I do agree that the extra -te makes it look more French but I've never really liked alliteration so Juliet/Juliette "jur-roo" bothers me like Josephine does The name has to be French; it can't just work in French. It has to actually be French. My SO is French-Canadian and since we rarely get to go to my SO's hometown and visit family we want to use a French name so our baby has a part of her heritage in her name. But since we live in the United States we still want something that won't cause a whole lot of problems here