Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    How about Odette? I haven't seen it suggested yet. Or Sylvie, I'm pretty sure it wasn't suggested yet. If I think of any more I will post again. Good luck in picking the perfect name.

Okay back again with some more, I am hoping they are not repeats.

Belle
    Bernadette
    Claire
    Elinor (I know you were concerned about El names as your name is Eloise, is Elinor too close to Eloise?)
    Estelle
    Esme

Madeleine - I agree, I'm not totally thrilled with the many spellings, either, but I do love its pronunciation in French, and it's just so sweet and classy! I think it has a lot of great non-Maddy nicknames, too (my favorite being Leni, but Della/Adele, Addy, etc.
    Josephine - beautiful, but I just never can get into it. It seems sort of boring to me most of the time. I like Josephine "jur-roo", though!
    Emilie/Emeline - I think there could be issues with spelling in the US, especially with Emily and Emmaline being the most common spellings. Amelie might be a nice alternative? It rarely ever gets the accent here in the US, and it's so close to Emilie, and so pretty. Technically, I think Emilie's supposed to get an accent aigu over the first "E"?
    Aurore - omgoodness, I adore Aurore! It sounds so lilting and pretty in a French accent! I think Americans would butcher it, though, sadly. I can't even say it well when I speak in French.

Are you interested in French names that would normally have accents, but just not using them? Like Agnes, Helene, Zoe, Felicite, Penelope, Daphne--they all are French forms with the accents, but I don't think they'd have too many problems in America. And it might be fun to be fay-lee-see-tay in Canada/with French-Canadian family, but Felicity in America. Same with ZOH-ee and zoh-ay, AG-ness and ahn-YESS, etc.

My favorite idea for you is a French double barrel starting off with Anne? A Canadian friend of mine says they were more hot in Canada than they ever were in French, and I think it could even get you to Ana. Anne-Sophie and Anne-Claire are my two favorites, but I think something like Anne-Charlotte or Anne-Marie would be lovely, too. There's also Anne-Laure, and you could do it with a great many French names (Anne-Camille? Anne-Coralie? Anne-Odette? Anne-Emilie? Anne-Amelie?).

Some of my favorite accent-less French names:

Camille
    Charlotte
    Arielle
    Odette (omgoodness, adore!)
    Odile
    Cecile (or is there an accent over the first "E"?)
    Claire
    Fleur
    Anouk (technically French and Dutch, I think, but still French)
    Violette
    Juliette
    Coralie
    Isabelle
    Ariane/Arianne
    Olivie
    Madeleine
    Nathalie
    Ysaline/Isaline

Favorite French names for just dropping the accent:

Esmee
    Genevieve
    Zoe
    Leonie
    Cecile
    Agnes
    Aurelie
    Amelie
    Ophelie
    Elise
    Elodie
    Emilie

Sorry if I've just listed a bunch of repeats.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

Also, I figured I'd address some of your questions about some names, since my best friend was French, and we used to talk names, and I have a wee bit of knowledge. Alice is definitely said different in French and English; it's AL-iss in English and ah-LEES in French. I can see your concern with Arianne (as far as I know, the French pronunciation is ahr-ee-ahn/ahr-ee-anne--I've never heard an "A" sound like "AY" in French? It's always an "E", many times with an accent...). I love it--it's my second favorite girls' name--and (guilty!) I do say it like AIR-ee-anne (which I find adorable). That's how I first heard it, so that's how I say it naturally. I think the Ariane spelling would get you closer to what you want (I find it to look more classic and elfish and timeless, too, although I have trouble getting behind that spelling, too), but Arianne/Ariane is so obscure in the US, anyway, that you could say it any old way you please and most Americans would just follow suit. I think, depending on where you live in the US, you might have different ways people might think to pronounce it, but most people say Ariana like ahr-ee-AH-nah, so I wouldn't really expect the AIR-ee beginning...
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

waverly123- Zoelie is just OK to me, the spelling makes it look weird and I fear that it would be said "zoh-ee-lee" (like the name Zoe + lee at the end). Fleurette and Fleurine are a bit...much? different? for me. It kind of seems like some random letters were added at the end to make them longer I used to be very good friends with an Arielle and things ended badly, so I don't really want to bring up those memories in my daughter's name. Eleanore concerns me because the "EL" beginning like my name, and I feel like it will always be misspelled because of the "e" at the end. The reason we won't use just Ana is because:

1) My SO thinks it's too short for a full name
    2) We want to use a name that is truly French rather than one being a variant of a French name (it cheapens the meaning of using a French name to us)

jtucker- If it wasn't for the Swan Princess, I'd probably go for Odette, but that is all I can think of when I see it. I'm not really thrilled by any of the others, sorry!

ashthedreamer- I want to find a name that doesn't have accents at all; I feel like just simply taking away the accents would almost be..disrespectful? I don't know if that is the right word I'm looking for, but that's the best I got right now hahaha! Besides the ones that are already on my beginning list (like Madeleine and Emilie), I like Fleur (but still think it's incomplete or something), Juliette (but really dislike alliteration so it's a definite no-go for me at this point), Ariane/Arianne (Ariane doesn't look right but Arianne causes problems for me), and Genevieve (but the differences in pronunciations is a problem, especially since I really dislike the French pronunciation)