Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    i read the thread and undestand your concerns. My first-name is Ana, pronounced the way you said, and I don't really like it when people say it like Anne-a.

Anyway, I'll second a pp suggestion of a double-barred name.

Anne-Marie and Anne-Sophie are gorgeous, distinctive, french and you could use the nn Ana.

I went through the NB database and found some names that I think may fit your criteria. Hope it was helpful.

Charlotte *
    Anabelle *
    Celine
    Cecile
    Camille
    Dominique
    Estelle *
    Eulalie
    Gabrielle
    Gisele
    Helene
    Isabeau
    Agnes *
    Lenore
    Louise
    Lucille
    Marceline
    Mazarine
    Marguerite *
    Marine *
    Marjorie *
    Noelle
    Ophelie
    Ottilie
    Odile
    Rafaella
    Rosalie
    Rosemonde
    Vivienne *

Have you looked on your SO's family tree? Maybe you can find some names there that can save you trouble.
    Best of luck.

__________Caroline. 22 year old from Brazil.______________
    ____ __ Clara | Lydia | Anaïs | Alice | Zoe | Eve |
    _________Louisa | Georgina | Edith | Beatrix | Fleur |
    ___ _____Gabriel | Thomas | Oliver | James | Archer
    ________Rowan | Jack | Rhys | Lachlan | Theodore

_ please, vote on my namelist:
    ___________________www.babynames.com/namelist/9789681______________

I ADORE Emmeline (Emme-UH-leen, like it's "supposed" to be pronounced) but I worry that people would pronounce it wrong, or think it's a fancy spelling for Emily or something if they aren't familiar with French names.

Have you considered:

Isabelle/Annabelle
    Rosalie
    Amelie/Amelie
    Emilia
    Esme
    Juliette
    Adrienne
    Odette
    Cosette
    Angelique
    Vivienne
    Violette/Violetta
    Claire
    Fleur
    Gabrielle
    Camille
    Simone
    Antoinette
    Marie

I believe these are French, sound French, but are also pronounceable to "non-French speakers". I hope I helped, and I got the idea you were going for!

I would just caution you against Edith--that's another one I LOVE in English but HATE in French. The French pronunciation is ay-DEET. Totally not as attractive as EE-dith, haha.

Thought of another--I'm not sure it'll appeal, but Lisette? I think Lisette is so sweet and positively French, and Lisette "jur-roo" is really sweet, too. It has some adorable nns, too--Lizzie, Issy/Izzy, Etta? I have been toying around with using Lisette nn Issy in a story I'd like to write. I also thought of a few others my friend had considered:

Eulalie (pronounced oo-lah-lee in French; yew-lay-lee in English. Another one that I quite hate the French pronunciation, but you may like it? I know a lot of French speakers aren't totally thrilled with it, though, because the "eu" sound in Eulalie in French sounds with the French equivalent of the English "ugh", so it almost seems like "Ugh, it's Eulalie..." before they ever get the name out. But it's such a pretty looking name, and you-lay-lee sounds adorable! Plus, Laylee/Lalie's a cute nn... I probably just talked you out of it, lol, but I think it really is beautiful!)
    Elisabeth (French version of Elizabeth, although I'm not sure it's said the same? I'm honestly not sure how it is said in French... maybe close to ay-lee-sah-bet?)
    Lelia (I'm not sure it's French... I do know my friend was considering it, especially for her grandma Leila. She said it LAY-lee-ah.)

I'm not sure why, but it hadn't let me edit in a couple other names from earlier of French girls I know--Agnes, Violette, and Daphne (sisters), and Capucine. I think Capucine comes from the same word as cappuccino, but I don't drink coffee, haha, and I just associate it with the adorable little French girl I know of with the name. My best friend used to baby sit her, and she's told me many stories.

It's no bother, haha. I've asked her before. Amelie died of complications from heart surgery Dec. 2011, so I always check up on Angelique now and then, anyway, and she's nearly as interested in names as Millie was.

Another site you might want to check out is this: http://www.behindthename.com/names/b...e[]=french. I've always found that BtN has a huge selection of international names that I've not come across on any other website, and they have good info. I always discover new favorites there! I tried to narrow the results so it's just French girls' names, so hopefully that's what you'll see.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

Some of the more obvious names that are easy to spell and pronounce in English and French - and are accent-less - are sort of dated in both the U.S. and France, but still nice names:

Nathalie
    Nicole (the difference between the English and French "i" isn't so bad)
    Danielle
    Christine
    Catherine (again, the pronunciation differs a bit)
    Charlotte
    Pauline
    Francine
    Charline (surprisingly popular in France??)
    Julie

Names currently in the French top 200 that aren't accented, and can be pronounced pretty much the same in both countries:
    Lola
    Camille
    Lucile
    Sarah
    Louise
    Lilou
    Lena
    Lisa
    Juliet
    Celia
    Rose
    Melina
    Luna
    Elena
    Marion
    Stella
    Melinda
    Claire
    Paloma

Names that are less familiar in the U.S., but sound more "French" to me than names like Lisa:
    Apolline
    Delphine (my favorite French name that works in English)
    Capucine
    Axelle
    Violette
    Laurine

You may not have found the right name yet but I don't think you're asking too much. And I think you'll get there. I think Behind The Name has been linked here before, but here is the list of the top 500 in France: http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/fr/2011 . There were some surprises on there - if anything, it's fun to look through. I hope you find "the one" and I think you will.
    Girls:
    Catherine/Kathleen, Susan/Susannah, Anne/Anna/Annabeth, Jane, Margaret/Marguerite, Rose/Rosemary, Cecile/Cecily, Flora/Laura, Gwendolen, Paloma, Tabitha, Lucille, Beatrice, Harriet

Boys:
    Frederick, Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy

Another suggestion that I haven't seen made: Anceline

This was a name was worn by Anceline de Montfort-sur-Risle who married into the House of Hartcourt in the days of the Vikings. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_a...s_of_Harcourt]

I think it has a very modern sound, works well in French/English, could be spelled as Anne-Celine, and also allows for Ana as a nickname.

Hope this helps!
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Leonie