Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anabel/Anabelle/Annabelle/Annabel

You may have seen my other thread (French "Ana" Names) and I have a few questions about Anabel/Anabelle/Annabelle/Annabel.

1) Which would be considered the traditional French spelling?

2) Would you pronounce it ANN-uh-belle or ON-uh-belle?

3) If the spellings Annabelle or Annabel were used would the nickname Anna "ANN-uh" always be used rather than Ana "ON-uh" or would it be weird to use Ana if the name was pronounced ANN-uh-belle?

A French name is a must for my SO and I loved Ana so I thought it would be easy to find a name with both qualifications but it hasn't been so easy Anabel/Anabelle/Annabelle/Annabel is probably my top pick but I have all sorts of concerns and worries.

If you have any other suggestions of French names (they don't have to contain "Ana") that are still easy to say and pronounce in English, please leave them in a comment! There are some names that don't really seem French but are (at least to me, like Liana, Liliane, and a few others from my other thread)...I want the name to seem like it is French and when people see it they think "French" but not necessarily hard-to-say-French (if that makes sense) Last name is pronounced "jur-roo" ("Jur" as in the word "Jury")

Probably should have said this earlier, but I really hate the sound of "Anna" (ANNE-uh) so I definitely do not want to use that as a nickname instead of "Ana" (ON-uh). I'm leaning towards the side of a "no-go" since it will probably cause issues; if I can't get that "ON-uh" sound I'd like to avoid "ann/an" names in general
    Last edited by ellieroo; March 19th, 2014 at 08:18 PM.

Annabelle is French; Annabel is Scottish/English; Anabel would be the Spanish spelling. Anabelle is a modern smoosh of Ana and Belle.

For the spelling Annabel, "ANN-uh-belle" would be my pronunciation unless I heard otherwise. Anabel would be "ON-uh-belle".

3) If the spellings Annabelle or Annabel were used would the nickname Anna "ANN-uh" always be used rather than Ana "ON-uh" or would it be weird to use Ana if the name was pronounced ANN-uh-belle?

Probably. If you want "ON-uh", I would stick to the one "n" spelling Anabel (it wouldn't be French though).

Other French Suggestions

Madeleine
    Josephine
    Elodie
    Eliane/Liane - these are the French versions of Liana
    Liliane (Liliana isn't the French spelling)
    Marguerite/Margot
    Isabelle
    Amelie
    Gabrielle
    Lucienne
    Celeste/Celestine
    Delphine
    Sylvie
    Emilie
    Mathilde
    Leonie
    Louise
    Marianne
    Vivienne
    Violette
    Simone
    Rosalie
    Sophie
    All the best,
    Mischa.

mischa- Thanks for your answers! I actually meant Liliane rather than Liliana, oops! Liliane was suggested on my other thread and I thought it was nice but I was worried about the spelling and I thought it would always be Lily rather than Ana But I do like Madeleine, Josephine (though I'm not sure about this with "jur-roo"), Delphine, Emilie (but it may look like a cute spelling for Emily since Americans are known for "yooneek" spellings of names), Vivienne (spelling is another issue for me), and Sophie!

Annabelle.

The way I see it, in almost every name containing Anna/Ana, Anna = ANN-a Ana = AH-na

e.g

Ariana (ahree-AH-na)
    Arianna (ahree-ANN-a)

ON-a to me sounds almost like the word 'honour'.

Yes, I'd use Anna (ANN-a). I'd find it weird if an Annabel (ANN-a-bel) was nicknamed Ana (AH-na).
    Last edited by renrose; March 19th, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

The traditional French spelling would be Annabelle.

I would pronounced it ANN-uh-belle.

If you use the Annabelle spelling, I would use Anna (Ann-a). Ana just doesn't make much sense.

Other French names you might like:

Amandine
    Amelie
    Anais
    Apolline
    Coralie
    Cosette
    Elodie
    Eloise
    Lisette
    Marguerite
    Mireille
    Ottilie
    "Walter. That’s good. I’ve never known a little kid named Walter. It seems like an old man’s name, but I guess you have to start somewhere."