Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Twin girls! Name to go with Leonora

Hello, I have been name crazy for as long as I can remember so having twins is double the fun and double the indecision! We have decided to name one baby each so my partner has decided on Leonora Mary Louise (His favourite female painter Leonora Carrington, his grandmother, my grandmother). Leonora wouldn't be my first choice but I like it and I love the nicknames Leo and Lily.

So…! My top choice is Josephine - it can shorten to spunky boyish nickname like Leonora so they could be Leo and Jojo or girly Lily and Posy but I also like the following, please help me! I have even made an excel spreadsheet. Ps we are both English and live in the UK.

Agatha (I will never be brave enough)
    Arabella (pretty but maybe Leonora and Arabella a bit much?)
    Artemis (my 8 year old son really wants me to use this - is a surprising contender)
    Elizabeth (so many nicknames, I love Bess for example, or Eliza)
    Grace (I love this and feel strong affinity with it but it is quite common in UK)
    Greta (name of a dear old family friend)
    Josephine (Jo March, great nicknames and honours my mother Jo)
    Katherine (a classic, I used to call my diary Kitty when I was a little girl like Anne Frank)
    Rose (maybe a middle name?)
    Ruby (a family name)
    Violet (worried it sounds like "violent" lots of spoiled girls in books are Violets but have always loved)

Thank you!

Leonora Mary Louise is a lovely name. Leonora wouldn't be my first choice either, but it's nice. I don't love the nn Leo and I don't see how you got Lily. I like the nn Lea though!

Surprisingly, I really like Artemis. I think she's an admirable goddess, but maybe the name is too goddess-y. nn Emmy could work! Lea and Emmy would be so cute!

Josephine is really nice, but maybe not unique enough to be paired with Leonora.
    Greta is stunning, but it has no nicknames, something that may be important to you (it's important to me).
    Violet - I don't have an English accent, but I wouldn't worry about it sounding like violent. A lot of girls are named Violet and it's an accepted name / flower name. Plus it's really cute. Maybe as a middle name?
    Grace - Maybe a MN, I'm not a huge fan.
    Elizabeth - I think this is way too classic to be paired with Leonora, and if you only like it because it has so many nn's, that's not a great reason to chose it. You'll only be able to call your daughter one (maybe 2) nicknames. I like Eliza as a name.
    The ones I didn't mention I'm meh about.

Combos: Josephine Rose Artemis, Violet Greta Josephine. Sorry, I'm awful at 3 name combos.
    Isla, Sadie, Neva, Thalia, Leora, Sylvia, Maeve, Flora, Aria & Tessa
    Noah, Henry, Ronan, Wyatt, August, Caleb, Grant, Charlie, Flynn & Alfie

Congrats on your twins and welcome to Nameberry! Leonora is gorgeous and from your list, I love Josephine, Violet and Arabella for her twin sister. I don't mind girls names ending in "a" as long as they sound different enough (Leonora and Arabella would be fine together). Josephine Ruby Grace or Arabella Catherine Rose would be wonderful combos. I would also suggest Evelina, Estella, Cosima, Silvia, Emilia, Clara/Chiara, Antonia, Cecily, Jemima, Aurelia, Felicity, Augusta, Beatrix, Araminta, Susanna, Thalia, Rosalind, Marina and Fiammetta for Leonora's twin sister.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Thanks waverly123, I had only come up with Missy as a nn for Artemis, Emmy is cute. All the combos you did were beautiful, how can one ever decide? I worked out I would need to have 98 daughters to use all the names I love.

And Mischa I'm afraid Fiammetta has been vetoed by dh it was high on my list, I love Chiara but maybe as middle, my car is called Araminta (!). I thought I could make Violet Violetta instead maybe? I need to come up with alternatives to Jojo as we have all taken to referring to the unborns as Leo and Jojo and I haven't made my mind up yet, before I know it they will be set in stone.

I have a feeling that I may end up with Artemis in the end but I swore that I would only use a name I have liked for at leat 5 years to avoid having a trendy name but Artemis only came up because of twins and my son studying Greek myths at school! Thanks for your help. I love nameberry, is definitely the best name site out there.

I think Leonora & Arabella sound much better than Leonora & Josephine. Arabella is so pretty & bella even means beautiful so all the better, I think they are a great pair! NN options could be: Ari, Belle, Bella, Ella, Elle, Ellie...
    Check out my blog! Click here! New blog post today!