Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with culling through girls name list

Soon-to-be-first-time mom who has been lurking on Nameberry since I got pregnant, but this is my first post. Overwhelmed at the responsibility of picking a name for our little girl due in May, and hoping to get some perspective on the names that I've been collecting. The names that seem to appeal to me tend to be relatively unique, but not too unique that she will have trouble introducing herself or constantly needing to spell it out for others, and I'd love to stay away from overly trendy names in favor of something that will work for her over her entire life. Our last name is short and ends in -ley (rhymes with Lee)

List below of names I'm loving at the moment, for either first or middle name - would love to get some feedback or even suggestions as my husband has not been particularly helpful with this!

Sage
    Talia
    Maeve
    Caroline
    Isadora
    Lydia
    Cora
    Noelle
    Evelyn/Evelina (Evelyn is a family name)
    Genevieve/Guinevere
    Aurora
    Autumn
    Amber
    Jane (family name)
    Simone
    Vivienne
    Catherine (family name)
    Ruby

I'll offer up some impressions for you, thrown in with some suggestions:

Sage -- I love what this name evokes: the herb, wisdom. Nature but a more refined sort (along the lines of Juniper) that it doesn't come across as all hippy. It's like a more modern option to Rose or Lily.
    Talia -- NMS. It's a sweet, princessy name without all the frills though.
    Maeve -- This name has really grown on me. I also have really grown fond of Maeva.
    Caroline -- I would love this name more if not for a girl I know who, while a friend, just has one of those slightly annoying personalities. haha. I also love the more spunky Coraline. Anyway, this is a lovely name.
    Isadora -- NMS, but a lavish yet refined name.
    Lydia -- Is just okay to me.
    Cora -- LOVE this. Again, also Coraline which might be something to consider if you like both Cora and Caroline.
    Noelle -- I just think Christmas, but it's a pretty name. There are other "Elle" names that I prefer.
    Evelyn / Evelina -- I think both of these are great names and Evelina is a great way to spice up Evelyn, especially as a family name. I love the nickname Evie too and I'm not a nickname person. I like the unexpectedness of Evelina, while adoring the classic charm of Evelyn which is also versatile -- I know Evelyns of all ages and personalities, though don't meet a whole lot of them.
    Genevieve/Guinevere -- these names don't appeal to me. Most "Gen" and "Gwen" names don't though.
    Aurora -- Very pretty but also quite princessy.
    Autumn -- is just okay. There are other nature names that I find far more appealing.
    Amber -- same as Autumn.
    Jane -- I love this in the middle spot, as well as the first. NMS but classic and strong-willed.
    Simone -- I associate this name strongly with one person so it's hard for me to imagine it on anyone else! She has a very strong personality and incredibly unique voice, so my mind goes there.
    Vivienne -- Love this. Classic, but the "enne" spelling draws it out and gives it a little more flourish than Vivian.
    Catherine -- Another strong classic in line with Jane. I especially love Cate -- which would be on my list if there weren't already so many in my family.
    Ruby -- NMS but I find it a sweet and slightly spunky/shiny name.

Congrats to you and welcome to Nameberry! Here are my thoughts on your list (my faves are bolded) as well as more suggestions.

Sage - not my style. If used, it's better in the middle spot. Suggestions: Willow, Wren, Lark
    Talia - I prefer Thalia or Thea.
    Maeve - a sweet Irish gem. I also like Mae and Mabel.
    Caroline - A classic choice. Suggestions: Charlotte, Audrey, Marguerite, Coraline
    Isadora - a great alternative to the megapopular Isabella. Suggestions: Leanora, Dorothea, Theodora
    Lydia - a Biblical name as well as a literary one. Suggestions: Susannah, Delilah, Dinah, Miriam, Julia
    Cora - a little harsh and getting popular like her cousin Nora. Suggestions: Greta, Laura, Maura
    Noelle - it's pretty but dated so I would just use it as a mn choice. Suggestions: Isobel, Mirabel, Annabel
    Evelyn/Evelina - With the more unique option of Evelina, you get to honour a family member as well as give your daughter her own version of the name.
    Genevieve/Guinevere - Genevieve is one of my favourite French names. Love it!
    Aurora - the r's are difficult to say
    Autumn - ok but I like the season more than the name itself.
    Amber - dated
    Jane (family name) - Short, sweet and simple Jane. A favourite literary name of mine. Suggestions: Grace, Claire/Clara, Joan
    Simone - a gorgeous French name. Suggestions: Elodie, Camille, Adrienne, Lorraine, Nadine, Francine, Josephine
    Vivienne - I prefer the Vivian spelling. This French version just seems overdone to me.
    Catherine (family name) - elegant and formidable
    Ruby - full of spunk and sass. Suggestions: Violet, Juniper, Jessamine, Bryony, Azalea, Opal, Jewel
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Sage- I like Sage best in the middle spot. The singer P!nk has a daughter named Willow Sage.
    Talia- First thought is Talia Castellano, Talia was teenager girl battaling cancer for 6 years. Possibly 7, I am not exactly sure. She was an inspiration.. you can google her name to find out more. Talia is super pretty, and a great nickname for Natalia.
    Maeve- I like this! I imagine a girl with fiery red hair.
    Caroline- I think Caroline is so pretty. Very classic.
    Isadora- I'm not a fan of Isa names or the name Dora, so it doesn't appeal to me much. Great, more unique variant of Isabella.
    Lydia- So pretty!
    Cora- I love it!
    Noelle- One of my good friends is called Noelle. And no, she was born during the summer, so no Christmas confusion there.
    Evelyn/Evelina (Evelyn is a family name)- I think this name is super pretty. It's nice that it is a family name too.
    Genevieve/Guinevere- I know a lot of people who dislike this name, but personally I like it. I think it's spunky and classic.
    Aurora- First thing to come to my mind was the Disney Princess.
    Autumn- I like Autumn.
    Amber- Pretty.
    Jane (family name)- I like the classy aspect of the name Jane. It is one of the names that to me, personally, will always be 'in style'.
    Simone- I think this is a really spunky name. Cool!
    Vivienne- I love Vivienne!
    Catherine (family name)- Classy, once again.
    Ruby- Fairly popular in Australia, if I am correct. I like it. Short & sweet.
    Shealah
    Teenberry, name loving girl.
    xo

Favorites:
    Lucy, Madeline, Caroline, Kylie, Bryn, Audrey/Aubrey, & Sierra
    Eli, Caden, Camden, Riley and Caleb

Guilty Pleasures:
    Clementine & Tiara

Sage - cute.
    Talia - I like Thalia much more. like mischa's suggestion of Thea.
    Maeve - my favorite one syllable name. love the meaning
    Caroline - spunky, love it.
    Isadora - pretty
    Lydia - nice but not my favorite.
    Cora - simple, elegant, vintage - love
    Noelle - cute
    Evelyn/Evelina (Evelyn is a family name) - I prefer Evelyn.
    Genevieve/Guinevere - love Genevieve.
    Aurora - lovely.
    Autumn - nms
    Amber - nms
    Jane (family name) - simple, strong, elegant, classic
    Simone - pretty but feels a bit dated to me
    Vivienne - feminine, romantic - love
    Catherine (family name) - beautiful, classic, a bit safe/common tho
    Ruby - cute, spunky - but too rhymey with your last name 'Ruby Blank-ley'

At the bottom for me are Autumn, Amber, Simone, Lydia, Ruby for reason noted, Talia.

FAVES: Maeve, Caroline, Cora, Genevieve, Jane, Vivienne.
    Esme ~ Gwyneth ~ Hazel ~ Margot ~ Penelope ~ Sylvie ~ Thea ~ Vesper
    Archer ~ Donovan ~ Ezra ~ Julian ~ Leo ~ Rhys ~ Theo ~ Vincent