Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aoife and Eva too similar?

For the last few years my DH and I have been in love with the name Eva, as we knew a little girl with this name.

Last year my sister had a little girl and called her Aoife (pronounced EE-fa or EE-feh), does that mean it should be off the list? We do see a lot of my sister and her family.

Your thoughts?

For a second (when I saw the title) I thought you were asking if Aoife and Eva were too similar to be sisters!!!

If Eva is your number one name and you truly love it, I don't think it's off limits, but I think you should speak to your sister first, explain you've loved the name for years, so she doesn't feel like you're copying her choice.

If the two girls are likely to spend a lot of time together, and you envisage saying "Aoife and Eva" a lot, you may want to give it some extra thought. Could you use Evie as a nickname, so when they are together they're Aoife and Evie? Could you use a longer form with Eva as a nickname? Evangeline, Evelina, Evanna, Evanthe etc?
    Victor | Ephraim | Phineas | Alfred | Rupert

Trudy | Marceline | Ramona | Cicely | Winifred

It's not optimal but I think it's OK. Talk with your sister first though, and maybe consider a nn like pp's suggestion

Crushing on
    ♥ Rosa ♥ Milvie ♥ Elsie ♥ Flora ♥ Inga ♥ Adele ♥ Fionn ♥ Odin ♥ Ingo ♥ Thore ♥ Ellis ♥ Vilme ♥

among others

~ From Sweden - Feel free to ask if you want to know anything about Swedish names! ~

Unless the name has real significance (honors someone, not just a name I liked), I'd look for something else because *to me* they are too similar.

If you wouldn't care about the possible confusion when the kids got together, I think you should talk to your sister about it.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Thanks everyone,

Yes I did think the subject line might make people think that, got your attention though

You have all listed exactly our concerns and views. We do love the name but I think it is too similar.

Time to look for some new names we love I think, or maybe another Eve name, great suggestion.