Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Am I The Only One?

I realise that Gertrude is like, the #1 most hated name of all time for just about everyone, but, am I the only one who it doesn't feel old to?

I have never met an elderly woman named Gertrude, (my great grandmother doesn't recall any Gertrude's either, and she's 90 in October), and, honestly, the only thing it makes me think of is the 2004 Ben Affleck movie, Jersey Girl. In the movie, Jennifer Lopez played his wife, Gertrude, who died of an aneurysm during childbirth. Their newborn daughter, as a result, is named Gertie.

Am I the only one who thinks of the movie, and the adorable little actress portraying Gertie, rather than a stuffy, 100 year old woman when the name Gertrude is mentioned?
    Ladies: Florence•Amelia•Daisy•Martha•Millie•Scar lett•Sophia•Poppy•Freya•Amelie•Maisie• Olivia•Charlotte•Imogen•Harriet
    Evie•Lillian•Isabelle•Ella•Louisa•Eleano r•Violet•Lucy•Annabelle•Phoebe•Elsie•M innie•Matilda•Grace•Evelyn•Pixie

Gentlemen: Albert•Matthew•Henry•Louis•William•Harry •Teddy•James•Charlie•Christopher• Ernest•Andrew•Adam•Thomas•Alfie
    Edward•Archie•Daniel•Harrison•George•Sta nley•Joel•Rafferty•Michael•Samuel•Winsto n•Freddie•Darcy

It actually (maybe bizarrely) always sounded like a supermodel name to me. You know, one of the those names that is so clunky but effortlessly carried off by some gorgeous 6 foot tall girl? I don't know why, if I met a beautiful young woman named this at some point, but that is my association.

I prefer the nickname Trudy to Gertie.

Quote Originally Posted by tarynkay View Post
    It actually (maybe bizarrely) always sounded like a supermodel name to me. You know, one of the those names that is so clunky but effortlessly carried off by some gorgeous 6 foot tall girl? I don't know why, if I met a beautiful young woman named this at some point, but that is my association.

I prefer the nickname Trudy to Gertie.
    I totally see that too to be honest, a bit like Barbara Palvin, haha. I'm 5'11, and seemingly only attracted to men my height or taller (well, basically not shorter than 5'8, I think I'm subconsciously telling myself that I don't want to be like my aunt and have to sit down at my wedding because I'm 6'1 and my husband is 5'4.....), my future daughter would definitely be tall
    Ladies: Florence•Amelia•Daisy•Martha•Millie•Scar lett•Sophia•Poppy•Freya•Amelie•Maisie• Olivia•Charlotte•Imogen•Harriet
    Evie•Lillian•Isabelle•Ella•Louisa•Eleano r•Violet•Lucy•Annabelle•Phoebe•Elsie•M innie•Matilda•Grace•Evelyn•Pixie

Gentlemen: Albert•Matthew•Henry•Louis•William•Harry •Teddy•James•Charlie•Christopher• Ernest•Andrew•Adam•Thomas•Alfie
    Edward•Archie•Daniel•Harrison•George•Sta nley•Joel•Rafferty•Michael•Samuel•Winsto n•Freddie•Darcy

My great grandmother was Gertrude Amelia - Amelia was nearly my name since I had her red hair as a baby, and both names have a special place in my heart.

I picture tall, strong built with red hair - Magdalena Jasek type look. Or maybe like, 6'' Scandinavian-blonde. Either way, something about it makes me think tall as well (same with Freya - it's just one of those names!)

I love Gertrude, in all genuineness. I think that people's perceptions of it mean that it would take uber-hip parents, an LA lifestyle and the guarantee of flawless looks before the majority of the population of fully sold on it, though. Maybe someday.
    I think Trudie alone is adorable though and I would honestly consider it.
    ★ O L I V I A ★
    (seventeen, student / traveller, obsessively maternal and owner of darling black cat Shura)

Emmett - Alec - Rufus - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Trudie - Fenella - Aoife - Jemima - Eilidh

I like Gertrude. It was my great grandmother's name.
    Mommy to Travis Nevin 05/12
    and Angus Loudon is due April 6th, 2015